Author Topic: 1801 Bavaria 1 Ducat  (Read 343 times)

Offline Manfred1

1801 Bavaria 1 Ducat
« on: November 09, 2017, 12:14:49 PM »
Any help on the mintage figures on this coin?

Thank you very much.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 1801 Bavaria 1 Ducat
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 02:04:11 PM »
That's KM 646.1. No mintage known. This is unsurprising, as in those years, Bavaria was involved in the Napoleonic wars, so the minters had other priorities than administration and mint records may have been lost in war actions. Spies had to be equipped, diplomats had to buy allies or at least buy off potential enemies, the secret police had to be financed to find Napoleon-lovers and revolutionaries.

In fact, mintage is quite irrelevant. It doesn't determine price by itself, as demand and survival rate are part of the equation. In view of the times and circumstances, I suspect the survival rate is relatively high. There was no time for re-melting and hidden treasures always ran the risk of their owners meeting a sudden death.

What I find more interesting is the legend D • G • MAX • IOS • C • P
• R • V • B • D • S • R • I • A • & • EL • D • I • C • & • M • - Dei Gratia MAXimilianvs IOSephvs Comes Palatinvs Rhenvm Vterque Bavariensis Dvcatvs Sacrvm Romanorvm Imperivm Archi-dapifer & ELector Dvcatvs Ivliacensis Clevensis & Montes - By the grace (of god) Maximilian-Josef count of the Pfalz on the Rhine duke of both Bavarias, arch-steward and elector of the holy Roman empire duke of Jόlich, Kleef and Berg.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.