login

Author Topic: Australia 2018 Coin Sets  (Read 154 times)

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
Australia 2018 Coin Sets
« on: November 05, 2017, 12:14:52 AM »
As usual, Australia is one of the first countries to reveal the coins and sets available for the following year.

In 2018, the standard six-coin sets include one commemorative, a $1 coin for the centenary of the Armistice.

In 2017, Australiaís coin sets celebrated the Ian Rank-Broadley portrait of the Queen, still in use there.  This made me wonder if they were planning to replace it, either with a portrait commissioned especially for the RAM, or with the one in use outside of the UK (such as that used by Isle of Man).

However, it appears they are sticking with the Rank-Broadley for a 20th year (having been introduced in Australia in 1999).  I think this makes it the longest-lasting Royal portrait there?  They used the Arnold Machin one for 19 years (1966-1984).

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS ∑ UK
Re: Australia 2018 Coin Sets
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
<k> mentioned recently that the new portrait is for British use - even the islands must use the secondary portrait - I can't find the exact quote though.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 11:26:09 AM »
Yes, I think I did see that post.  I wonder what the reasoning is?  For 50 years, the Mint let any country use the portrait in use in the UK (famously, the UK itself was one of the last to introduce the Machin portrait). 

I wondered if the now much more commercially orientated Mint was charging too much for the use of the Jody Clark portrait, or the fact it doesnít look all that much different to the Rank-Broadley meant that countries/islands/territories had decided it wasnít worth changing.  Then the secondary portrait appeared and itís become clear the UK one will not be used anywhere else, going back to a pre-Machin situation (but not the Crowned/Uncrowned reasoning).

I half expect Australia to do a Canada and introduce their own rather than go with the secondary portrait.  I quite like the latter - itís a bit of a change and noticeably different from the Rank-Broadley.  Thereís still a sense, for me anyway, that the change in 2015 was for the sake of it.  ďOh, we used the Machin for 17 years and now the Rank-Broadley for that long, so we must change it againĒ.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 02:03:42 PM »
<k> mentioned recently that the new portrait is for British use - even the islands must use the secondary portrait - I can't find the exact quote though.

No, you misunderstood me. Since the advent of the Machin portrait, the crown dependencies, overseas territories and Commonwealth realms have been allowed to use whichever portrait they choose. I merely commented that none of those had - to date - chosen to use the Jody Clark portrait, presumably because they didn't like it and were satisfied with the IRB portrait.

You will remember that the Maklouf and IRB portraits also had uncouped versions, normally - but not always - reserved for commemoratives. I have yet to see an uncouped version of the Clark effigy.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
Australia 2018 Coin Sets
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 02:38:31 PM »
You will remember that the Maklouf and IRB portraits also had uncouped versions, normally - but not always - reserved for commemoratives. I have yet to see an uncouped version of the Clark effigy.
The portrait in use by Isle of Man and others is by Jody Clark and is uncouped though, even if itís not the exact same portrait.  Iíd have liked this one in the UK - for 20 years, the Queen hasnít existed below the neck on circulation coins!

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 03:04:50 PM »
So you regard that as JC's official effigy for the territories? Could be. As you say, it's not simply an uncouped version of his UK effigy.

Another portrait doing the rounds is this ugly fat-faced version. It's a Pobjoy production, artist unknown.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 03:42:49 PM »
Ah yes, that one.  The Falklands coins by Pobjoy use that, but itís couped where the clothes start.  As you say, quite an ugly portrait.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Australia 2018 Coin Sets
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 03:47:06 PM »
As you say, quite an ugly portrait.

Ugly would be an understatement. ;D

Royal Australian Mint's website shows Ian Rank-Broadley's portrait for one of its 2018 issue (see here), so safe to assume that the 'old' portrait will be used on all issues of 2018.

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.