Author Topic: UK Commemorative themes for 2018  (Read 10469 times)

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
Re: UK Commemorative themes for 2018
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2018, 09:59:24 PM »
I have noticed that the 5 pound coin is different from the other denominations (both lower AND higher) because it has "DG" but "FID DEF" as the value has been included.  On most of the other coins I have noticed on their website, the RM seems to have settled into a convention with the coins with the Clark portrait - they have shown "DEI GRA" and "FID DEF" if the date has been showing, and "DG" and "FD" if the value has been included (with a numeric value and then "POUNDS" in words) but this value seems to buck that trend. 

Is there any rationale to this or is it just a shoddy approach to consistency on the part of the RM (it's awful when you're as anal as I am about such things!).  Before anyone says it's down to the size of the coin (i.e. 38mm), this doesn't work with the considerably larger 5 ounce silver/gold 10 pound coins  >:(

Sorry, Ian, youíre right.  I hadnít included the £5 in my topics, so my previous post was referring to £2 and 50p coins only.

Offline hertfordian

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2018, 10:00:47 PM »
No worries - I just made a minor amendment to the post I made as I noticed last year's 5 pound coins had the same obverse legends....

Ian
UK

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW ∑ DE ∑ EU
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2018, 10:45:39 PM »
Trust you to praise that horrible monster that your fellow ethnic Germans created.

Guess you are referring to some imaginary Swiss created by one of your fellow Brits. :)  As for the 1918-2018 coin, it will be interesting to see what other countries have or will come up with. Could even be an interesting little theme collection ...

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2018, 11:35:44 PM »
More details of the new coins, complete with obverses.  <k>, I donít think there are any new variations on obverse inscriptions this year, so no updates required to those topics other than that Iíll need to add coins to it that hadnít been issued when I did them.

https://blog.changechecker.org/2018/01/01/first-look-new-royal-mint-coin-designs-for-2018/?utm_campaign=2018+uk+certified+bu+coin+set&utm_content=post&utm_medium=social&utm_source=general&utm_term=

Very good.  ;)

I do wish you would "clothe" your hyperlinks, though:

First look: New Royal Mint coin designs for 2018!

Naked, they look messy - you are following chrisild's bad habits. Next you will be ending your every comment with four dots.  >:(

Anyway, I was hoping izotz would have figured out how to allow us drag and drop URLs by now, so that we didn't have to take the trouble to clothe then with BB code.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2018, 11:40:13 PM »
Guess you are referring to some imaginary Swiss created by one of your fellow Brits. :) 

These creatures and creations all exist on the astral plane and in the "imaginal" world.

As for the 1918-2018 coin, it will be interesting to see what other countries have or will come up with. Could even be an interesting little theme collection ...

I do not like these "all text" designs, which strike me as lazy, nor those pictorial designs with over-prominent text, such as the "Representation of the People Act" 50p.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW ∑ DE ∑ EU
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2018, 11:23:52 AM »
Ah, but not all "text only" designs are created equal. :)  As I wrote, the Frankenstein design and font make sense to me, partly because the characters do remind of how the "monster" became alive. The other reason is that a scene featuring Frankenstein and/or his creature might make people think of movies instead of the novel. Maybe depicting the cover page of the first edition would have been another viable option.

The WW1 coin ... not so great, I think, but I guess that whoever picked the designs wanted to avoid the umpteenth war coin featuring a poppy. Depicting a military cemetery would have "excluded" the many other victims of that war, and simply avoiding the theme - which is what Germany does this year, coin wise - would be odd too.

Again, a design focusing on or consisting of characters only is not that great. But a design that simply grabs the official emblem of an event or organization and puts that and nothing else on a coin is just boring. So for me the RAF "design" is even worse than the other £2 designs of 2018. The 50 pence coin design is a fairly well balanced mix of text and people. With that theme you have the problem that men and women did at that time not get equal voting rights, so any symbol representing gender equality would not have been appropriate. :)

Christian

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2018, 09:09:37 PM »
News of the Isaac Newton 2018 50p mentioned earlier in this topic has hit Change Checker, along with circulation figures (apologies for the undressed link, <k>):

https://blog.changechecker.org/2018/01/04/could-the-2018-sir-isaac-newton-50p-coin-become-the-rarest-50p-ever/?utm_campaign=50p&utm_content=post&utm_medium=social&utm_source=general&utm_term=557u

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2018, 09:19:46 PM »
The 2018-dated Newton 50p is available at the Royal Mint Experience until at least the end of February. They are now already selling for 70 pounds each.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2018, 09:49:48 PM »
(apologies for the undressed link, <k>):

Hang your head in shame, Alan71.  >:(  We rightly expect better from moderators.

Strangely, it's been some months since I've received ANY circulation commemoratives in change. I use the self-service points a lot in supermarkets, and these seem to dispense only regular coinage.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2018, 10:35:11 PM »
Not sure if anyone on here gets the uncirculated coin collection (the one with the commemoratives and the standard coins).  Itís now £55 and sent recorded delivery by the Royal Mint.  However, the packaging they send them in is awful.  Itís that cardboard flat packaging that has creases in so that it can expand.  Fine if whatís being sent is reasonably flat, but not for a folder like this.  The slipcase the folder comes in was quite badly creased on the spine, because the packaging provided no protection whatsoever when it was in transit.

I shall be sending it back - Iíve already contacted them to recommend better packaging for such items.  Amazon also use this style and similarly items can arrive damaged.

Anyone thinking of ordering this from the Mint would be better advised to go to their nearest larger post office that has them for sale - at least the item can be inspected on site and swapped if any damage.  Not sure I will be ordering directly from the Mint ever again, certainly not this set.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2018, 01:17:27 PM »
There will this year be 2 commemorative 50p coins to commemorate Paddington Bear. One will depict Paddington Bear waiving a Union Flag in front of Buckingham Palace, the other will depict Paddington Bear sitting on a suitcase inside Paddington Station.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2018, 06:52:31 PM »
This thread is much to long and tangential. If I understand conrrectly, the British mint is going to issue 26x 10p coins into circulation each denoting an Alphabet ??? And I thought the RCM was pushing it with collector coins.

There has been a spate of 50pence and 2poubd commťmoratives as well. Are all of these issues into circulation? Or is it like Canada where some loonies  are special collector editions albeit with the same dimensions as circulation loonies?

If so, is there a list on the royal mint website that will clarify this for me? Someone was kind enough early on to give me a link for the Australian commemorative issues

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2018, 07:25:52 PM »
There has been a spate of 50pence and 2poubd commťmoratives as well. Are all of these issues into circulation? Or is it like Canada where some loonies  are special collector editions albeit with the same dimensions as circulation loonies?

If so, is there a list on the royal mint website that will clarify this for me? Someone was kind enough early on to give me a link for the Australian commemorative issues
See https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/circulation-coin-mintage-figures/two-pounds-to-20p-issued

The format of the list changed fairly recently and is quite difficult to work out, but the figures are all there, updated to include 2017-dated coins.

All commemorative £2 and 50p coins so far have been circulation issues, but some far more limited than others (Kew Gardens 50p being the most famous).

Although not a commemorative, a 2016 round £1 coin had an exclusive design and this was only in sets.  No round £1 coins with that design were issued into circulation.  As far as I know (and Iím fairly sure), this was the only 50p, £1 or £2 design not issued to circulation at all.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2018, 07:46:43 PM »
All commemorative £2 and 50p coins so far have been circulation issues, but some far more limited than others (Kew Gardens 50p being the most famous).

I believe the Single Market 50p of 1992 is the only real exception here. Furthermore there is of course the 2017-dated Newton 50p that was issued into circulation, but the 2018-dated Newton 50p with the same design as the 2017 one wasn't. Furthermore the 2009-dated Athletics 50p that wasn't issued into circulation but the 2011-dated Athletics 50p with the same design was.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2018, 08:31:57 PM »
See https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/circulation-coin-mintage-figures/two-pounds-to-20p-issued

The format of the list changed fairly recently and is quite difficult to work out, but the figures are all there, updated to include 2017-dated coins.

Although not a commemorative, a 2016 round £1 coin had an exclusive design and this was only in sets.  No round £1 coins with that design were issued into circulation.  As far as I know (and Iím fairly sure), this was the only 50p, £1 or £2 design not issued to circulation at all.

Thank you!