Author Topic: UK Commemorative themes for 2018  (Read 20141 times)

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
Re: UK Commemorative themes for 2018
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2018, 01:27:40 AM »

Finally, some of the 2018-dated designs.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »
Do not like the Frankenstein and World War I.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2018, 12:08:25 PM »
I agree.  When there are words going round the edge anyway, to then have more in the main field of the design is a bit too much.

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2018, 12:58:24 PM »
Seems to be the big thing of making coins as cheaply as possible by just using wording. Too many 2 euro coins are the same.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 01:44:20 PM by Alan71 »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2018, 01:38:24 PM »
What? No new pound design?  :o  Maybe next year, then - once we've got used to it.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
So the 'cheapest' proof set costs £155. Do such overpriced sets actually attract new buyers, I wonder (or even retain the existing customers)? ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2018, 03:15:43 PM »
So the 'cheapest' proof set costs £155. Do such overpriced sets actually attract new buyers, I wonder (or even retain the existing customers)? ::)

Aditya

Plus only some of the coins mentioned in eurocoin’s post above are included in the sets.  I expected the Beatrix Potter ones not to be, but the Captain Cook one is a disappointing and inexplicable omission.  Hopefully the four Royal Air Force ones will get a set of their own rather than separate issues.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2018, 06:11:27 PM »
I agree.  When there are words going round the edge anyway, to then have more in the main field of the design is a bit too much.

At least the designer(s) of the two "text coins" actually created a design. :) The third £2 coin - Air Force anniversary - merely reproduces the RAF emblem ...

The Frankenstein design is not bad in my opinion. The text in the center not only provides the title of the novel but does that in a way that makes you think of electricity, of the way the creature was brought to life.

That 50p commem looks OK to me. And the WW1 coin, well, the quote from the poem reflects that even the winners of the armistice were not in the mood to have a joyful celebration. "Heroic" designs with some soldiers fighting some battle may be easier to do but would not really have been an option in this case.

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2018, 06:19:04 PM »
The 5 pounds coin depicting St George and the dragon commemorates the 5th anniversary of Prince George. There is no connection whatsoever between the theme of the coin and what is depicted on it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:01:27 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2018, 07:00:13 PM »
Yes, I didn’t know what the £5 was for until I watched the Change Checker video.  Fifth birthday of Prince George is a non-event if ever there was one.  His father has never had any of his milestone birthdays commemorated on a UK coin (unless anyone knows otherwise?).  And a fifth birthday is not a milestone in any case.  St George for Prince George, great...

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2018, 07:29:01 PM »
Yes, I didn’t know what the £5 was for until I watched the Change Checker video.  Fifth birthday of Prince George is a non-event if ever there was one.  His father has never had any of his milestone birthdays commemorated on a UK coin (unless anyone knows otherwise?).  And a fifth birthday is not a milestone in any case.  St George for Prince George, great...

5 pounds: Prince William and Kate Middleton Royal Engagement, 2011.

Yes, but no birthday, you are right.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 07:43:46 PM by <k> »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2018, 07:33:02 PM »
The Frankenstein design is not bad in my opinion. The text in the center not only provides the title of the novel but does that in a way that makes you think of electricity, of the way the creature was brought to life.

Christian

Trust you to praise that horrible monster that your fellow ethnic Germans created. As if it isn't bad enough that you lot created Asperger's (which probably afflicts a few on this forum) and Alzheimer's and let them loose into the world.  >:(  As for us English, we are saints in comparison: probably our worst crime was inventing custard.  :-[

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2018, 08:58:37 PM »
More details of the new coins, complete with obverses.  <k>, I don’t think there are any new variations on obverse inscriptions this year, so no updates required to those topics other than that I’ll need to add coins to it that hadn’t been issued when I did them.

https://blog.changechecker.org/2018/01/01/first-look-new-royal-mint-coin-designs-for-2018/?utm_campaign=2018+uk+certified+bu+coin+set&utm_content=post&utm_medium=social&utm_source=general&utm_term=

Offline hertfordian

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2018, 09:47:50 PM »
<k>, I don’t think there are any new variations on obverse inscriptions this year, so no updates required to those topics other than that I’ll need to add coins to it that hadn’t been issued when I did them.

https://blog.changechecker.org/2018/01/01/first-look-new-royal-mint-coin-designs-for-2018/?utm_campaign=2018+uk+certified+bu+coin+set&utm_content=post&utm_medium=social&utm_source=general&utm_term=

I have noticed that the 5 pound coin is different from the other denominations (both lower AND higher) because it has "DG" but "FID DEF" as the value has been included.  On most of the other coins I have noticed on their website, the RM seems to have settled into a convention with the coins with the Clark portrait - they have shown "DEI GRA" and "FID DEF" if the date has been showing, and "DG" and "FD" if the value has been included (with a numeric value and then "POUNDS" in words) but this value seems to buck that trend. 

Is there any rationale to this or is it just a shoddy approach to consistency on the part of the RM (it's awful when you're as anal as I am about such things!).  Before anyone says it's down to the size of the coin (i.e. 38mm), this doesn't work with the considerably larger 5 ounce silver/gold 10 pound coins  >:(

Happy new year!

Ian
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 09:59:58 PM by hertfordian »
Ian
UK