Author Topic: Uncleaning a coin  (Read 1244 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Uncleaning a coin
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
That's impressively quick, Vic.  :)

Yes, it is fast if you drop it in the powder but as I mentioned earlier suspending it in a jar is slower and is best for machine struck coins such as yours,  you need to make it  suspend upright, if the coin lays on it's side then the upper part will darken more as the suspended sulphur powder will settle on it
Vic

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 06:53:22 PM »
How much powder do you use in the water please Vic? I've finally picked up some sulphur.

A for the original coin, it seems that being a pocket piece is helping. It's slowly coming back to a nice brown colour, although still a bit pink around the edges. I think I'm winning.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 08:23:39 PM »
How much powder do you use in the water please Vic? I've finally picked up some sulphur.

A for the original coin, it seems that being a pocket piece is helping. It's slowly coming back to a nice brown colour, although still a bit pink around the edges. I think I'm winning.

You will have to experiment a bit, for a regular sized jam jar full of water I would add a tablespoonful and shake it up, most of it will soon end up on the bottom but the water will have a golden tinge and this is what will produce the most delicate toning in just a few hours
Vic

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 08:26:14 PM »
A test piece. It was troubled by verdigris, especially on the top half of the reverse. I forgot to take a photo before I started, sadly, but this is it after some time in lemon juice:

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 08:30:28 PM »
And after a few days suspended in water with a tablespoon of powdered sulphur in.

I think it is much improved, although unevenly toned. The toning is darkest where the verdigris was, so I am attributing this to the degradation of the surface which presumably increased the reactive surface area.

I might try keeping it in my pocket for a couple of months to see if it will improve further.

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 10:11:15 PM »
I might try keeping it in my pocket for a couple of months to see if it will improve further.

I tried this. The first thing that happened was the toning produced by the sulphur disappeared. But its general appearance was improving slowly.

However, it's a small coin. So when I gave a handful of small change to a beggar in Bologna last week, it went too.  :'(

I felt absolutely bereft. It's no good to the beggar. He can't spend it, and there's no value to it so he can't sell it either. But I liked it, and the longer it stayed in my pocket, the more attached to it I became. Oh well, what's done is done.  ::)

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 10:21:07 PM »
My next project will be the Isle of Man penny. It's really horrible - pink and really shiny. I left it buried in yellow sulphur powder for a couple of weeks, but it made no discernable difference whatsoever.

It's too big to give away, so it will be my next pocket piece. I was pleased with the way the Jersey penny turned out, so hopefully this will improve too.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 11:07:06 PM »
Tried getting sulphur from a garden shop. No luck. What do you use it for in the garden?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 11:48:54 PM »
Tried getting sulphur from a garden shop. No luck. What do you use it for in the garden?

Peter

sulphur is used on plants and Controls Powdery Mildew on Many Fruits, Flowers & Vegetables; also used for winter storing tubers such as Dahlias.

I have no idea why the EU altered it's use but I  just spotted this:

As of 31 December 2011, gardeners were banned from using or storing green and yellow sulphur which was bought as a fungicide, due to a European Union directive.

From now, gardeners will only be allowed to use yellow sulphur as a soil acidifier or soil nutrient or risk committing an offence.

Needless to say it's available everywhere in the UK and still labelled as a fungiside  :D  easily obtainable from Amazon where it says:-
    Plant nutrient and soil acidifier
    Encourages strong, healthy growth
    Reduces susceptibility to powdery mildew and black spot

However if we use it on coins we will end up in jail  >:D
Vic

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 12:25:08 AM »
Try mixing a small amount of sulfur into candle wax, liquid, and put the coin in a container with the candle burning. This will form Sulfur Dioxide, and in a closed container, it will react with the copper.

Bruce

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 12:55:12 AM »
However if we use it on coins we will end up in jail  >:D

Presumably they'll let us out again after Brexit?   :P

I was going to sprinkle a bit round my gooseberry bushes. It doesn't have the effect I'd hoped for on coins.  :-\

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 10:44:53 AM »
Presumably they'll let us out again after Brexit?   :P

I was going to sprinkle a bit round my gooseberry bushes. It doesn't have the effect I'd hoped for on coins.  :-\

It just goes to show how stupid some of the EU rules are, you can sprinkle sulphur on your garden to fertilise it but if you sprinkle the same contents on your garden as a fungicide it's illegal  ???
There are lots of comments on gardening websites about this, nobody can seemingly find any reasoning behind such stupidity and thus carry on as usual.
Vic