Author Topic: Uncleaning a coin  (Read 724 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Uncleaning a coin
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
That's impressively quick, Vic.  :)

Yes, it is fast if you drop it in the powder but as I mentioned earlier suspending it in a jar is slower and is best for machine struck coins such as yours,  you need to make it  suspend upright, if the coin lays on it's side then the upper part will darken more as the suspended sulphur powder will settle on it
Vic

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 06:53:22 PM »
How much powder do you use in the water please Vic? I've finally picked up some sulphur.

A for the original coin, it seems that being a pocket piece is helping. It's slowly coming back to a nice brown colour, although still a bit pink around the edges. I think I'm winning.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 08:23:39 PM »
How much powder do you use in the water please Vic? I've finally picked up some sulphur.

A for the original coin, it seems that being a pocket piece is helping. It's slowly coming back to a nice brown colour, although still a bit pink around the edges. I think I'm winning.

You will have to experiment a bit, for a regular sized jam jar full of water I would add a tablespoonful and shake it up, most of it will soon end up on the bottom but the water will have a golden tinge and this is what will produce the most delicate toning in just a few hours
Vic