Author Topic: Croatia: post-Yugoslav coinage  (Read 365 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Croatia: post-Yugoslav coinage
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 01:03:28 PM »
There are other variations of the coins: FAO, United Nations, etc., and I invite you to post images of any coins I have not included.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 04:08:28 PM »

In 2002 Croatia issued a 25 kuna coin to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the country's international recognition. A map of the country shows its unusual outline.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 05:29:07 PM »
From Wikipedia:

Degenia is a monotypic plant genus in the mustard family, containing the single species Degenia velebitica (Croatian: velebitska degenija). The yellow-flowered plant is endemic to the Velebit and Kapela mountain ranges in the Dinaric Alps, and has become a symbol of the region.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 05:31:34 PM »
Below you see a 50 lipa coin of 2005, which shows the flower with its Croatian name.

The image is courtesy of coinz.eu.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 03:14:04 PM »
Here you see how the standard circulation coins of the set look together.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 03:32:34 PM »
Here are the three denominations that were issued as commemorative coins in 1995. They celebrate the 50th anniversary of FAO - the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. The motto "FIAT PANIS" is Latin for "Let there be bread".

From left to right; 1 lipa; 20 lipa; 2 kune.  The 1 lipa is an aluminium coin, so it does not look as good as the other two.

Offline Globetrotter

• Honorary Member
  • As my whimsy takes me....
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 10:32:31 PM »
I have this coin!!! The bear got a kick in it's nose, I would say?

Ole
Ole

If you're interested in coin variants please find some English documentation here:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
and in French on Michel's site (the presentations are not the same):
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 11:10:23 PM »
Yes, that bear doesn't look particularly realistic, as bears go.

Offline natko

• Split, Croatia
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 04:20:30 PM »
Ole, hope you won't mind if I put your image of that known bear with extra metal on the nose. Year is 2007.

There are sometimes such die breaks, on smaller coins, especially the steel ones which are hardest, I've found extra leaves, no stems or even filled letters, but lost interest in minting errors long ago. I believe the extra nose along with other differences is also just a worn out die, although of course, nice to notice. Today is rare to have different dies that are not identical, when they're made at the same mint.

Offline natko

• Split, Croatia
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »
I've noticed the commemorative series of 1994-1996 are not included. Regular coins showing flora and fauna are also fine, I don't think they're not realistic and can't think of many countries having animals and plants in that quality depicted, but by far my favorite design of all Croatian is a commemorative of 5 kuna. It commemorates 500 years of opening a monastery printer in Senj, where in 1494. a liturgical book was printed in glagolitic script. Everything else doesn't come even close. Sculptor is Damir Matausic.

A million of these were minted for circulation, however 300 pcs were made out of gold and I can assume it is the most valuable regular issue of Croatia nowadays. Too bad I couldn't afford it when it was issued, never seen it offered after it sold out.

Image from the artist's picassa

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 05:03:57 PM »
I've noticed the commemorative series of 1994-1996 are not included.

I wanted to concentrate on the regular circulation coins, so I only included one or two commemoratives.

Regular coins showing flora and fauna are also fine, I don't think they're not realistic

I meant only that the face of the bear was not realistic. Its body and proportions are perfect, of course, as are all the other designs. I bought a set of the first coins without seeing them first, because I was surprised to see them listed in my favourite dealer's mailing, and I was thrilled when they arrived and I actually saw them. I didn't have the internet in those days, of course. It is a beautiful set, and I love the marten on the obverse of the kuna coins.