Author Topic: Sasanian drachm with countermark and graffiti  (Read 628 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Sasanian drachm with countermark and graffiti
« on: October 23, 2017, 01:13:54 AM »
At the ONS meeting in Leiden, yesterday, I exchanged this coin with another collector. I'm very glad to have it, a countermarked Xusro II drachm. It's a well-known type with only one countermark, a square punch with a bird (or fable animal Senmurv), mentioned as c/m 11-K in Göbl's Hunnen. But this coin has an Arabic graffito at the lower right rim of the reverse, and I'm interested if you can identify what's inscribed. See the detail picture. Is it a K and then Allah? Or is it a Pahlavi graffito?

This is a drachm with clear mint GD (Gay, a part of modern Isfahan) and reign year 35 (=624). 28 mm, 2.96 gr.

-- Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Sasanian drachm with countermark and graffiti
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »
Nice exchange Paul !

I'm sorry i missed the ONS meeting in Leiden this weekend because i was confined to my bed with the flu. Hope you enjoyed the venue !
The graffito, i can no make sensible Arab of it. Could well be Pahlavi, but i am certainly not fluent in that.

Anthony

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 02:30:42 PM »
Here's the graffito copied as well as I could.
Göbl Hunnen (vol. II p. 180) says about countermark 11 that it was used after AH 66 = 685 AD.

-- Paul

« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:14:57 PM by Pellinore »

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 10:44:00 AM »
In the meantime, I found two instances where late Sasanian coins with graffiti are mentioned. One is a 4-page article on JSTOR, of which I can only read the first page. It's by A.B. Nikitin: Middle Persian and Some Other Graffiti on Sasanian Coins from the Moscow Collection, in Iran. Journal of the British Institute of Persian Studies, vol. 33, p. 99-102 (1993). It mentions a Russian collection of 4000 late-Sasanian drachms, assembled in the 19th century. Of these, 35 have graffiti, most of them Middle-Persian, often comprising names, business or financial remarks.
Here's the part I could read of the article. Apparently the inscriptions are only on definite types of coins. Most are drachms of Khusru I (10) and II (17), and of this last king, they are only on coins of the last years of his reign: 35 (like mine), 36, 37 and 38.

The other is a collection of 2000 drachms auctioned at Ebay by Lanz in 2011, of which 56 with graffiti are pictured at Zeno. By the way, many of these graffiti are unrecognizable on the pictures, and most have not been described or copied for easier reading.

-- Paul