login

Author Topic: UK Customs damaged my coin  (Read 234 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
UK Customs damaged my coin
« on: October 19, 2017, 03:49:56 PM »
I received a coin today from Pakistan, it had been opened by UK customs,   when I saw the cuts I was furious as I thought maybe they were checking the metal content,  now I realise some moron did it by slashing at the wrapper to expose the contents.
Had the sender used a plastic envelope then maybe it would not have happened.  Needless to say I have no chance of getting compensation as the process is ridiculous and I paid very little for the coin which is a 1/2 Dam of Akbar,  Kabul mint
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: UK Customs damaged my coin
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 06:45:53 PM »
Very frustrating. It is easy to understand that they use a metal detector on incoming packages and investigate further when the alarm goes off. It is possible to understand that something can go wrong in that process. It is impossible to understand why in such cases the customs service does not take its responsibility. That has nothing to do with what the sender used for shipment. It is just common civilised behaviour.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 09:27:14 PM »
No point me claiming either, lots of complaints about damaged items and the 'proof' they need that it wasn't already damaged etc. together with proof of value and so it goes on.
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 09:30:51 PM »
You could try interesting a journalist in the story (headline suggestion: uncivil servants vandalise private property), but be careful you don't tip off burglars to where your collection is.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 11:54:28 PM »
That's pretty poor Vic. Do you not have the seller's pictures?  >:(

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »
That's pretty poor Vic. Do you not have the seller's pictures?  >:(

Yes, it was an Ebay purchase but having seen what's involved to make a claim I wont bother, if the coin had been valuable then I would but as it cost just 4  it's not worth the hastle.   As it turns out the coin is worth more as it has a scarce Ilahi year
Vic

Offline Director

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 07:19:41 AM »
Whenever buying from overseas, I always give very specific shipping instructions, which are as under:

1. Please place the coin in a 2x2 holder, or in a small envelope and secure it with a tape.

2. Wrap the 2x2 or the small envelope with bubble wrap.

3. Place that in a bubble wrap envelope.

This usually makes the custom folks open it properly when they see something bubble wrapped inside bubble wrap envelope.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
UK Customs damaged my coin
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 03:48:10 PM »
Whenever buying from overseas, I always give very specific shipping instructions, which are as under:

1. Please place the coin in a 2x2 holder, or in a small envelope and secure it with a tape.

2. Wrap the 2x2 or the small envelope with bubble wrap.

3. Place that in a bubble wrap envelope.

This usually makes the custom folks open it properly when they see something bubble wrapped inside bubble wrap envelope.

My experience is that most of the sellers/swappers these days take similar precautions without specifically asking them to do so. :) If the customs' guy has decided to damage the contents of the letter (as seen in Vic's photo), there's little we can do about it. :-\

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline Director

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:56:46 AM »
My experience is that most of the sellers/swappers these days take similar precautions without specifically asking them to do so. :) If the customs' guy has decided to damage the contents of the letter (as seen in Vic's photo), there's little we can do about it. :-\

Aditya

Well, Vic didn't exactly imply that the customs guy had "decided" to damage the coin. Maybe just to see whats in the package he tried opening it with a paper cutter, which in turn damaged the coin. In my experience bubble wrapping a coin usually gives good protection, at least from unintentional attempts.

Cheers.