Author Topic: The decimal coinage of Australia  (Read 2493 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: The decimal coinage of Australia
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2017, 11:00:40 PM »
Never thought of that. They and other countries beat us to the Machin portrait, of course.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2017, 11:12:34 PM »
I see it would have been a little smaller than the current 50c so would have us confused once more.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2017, 11:12:44 PM »
Never thought of that. They and other countries beat us to the Machin portrait, of course.
Yeah, but it was being saved for the decimal coins wasn’t it?  Was it about four years old by the time that UK coins first used it in 1968?

There are so many commemoratives, not just for the 50c but others, that I imagine it would be a massive task to do a topic covering them all.  I’d like to see one though.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2017, 11:19:52 PM »
I see it would have been a little smaller than the current 50c so would have us confused once more.

Its heptagonal nature should have helped.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 11:35:02 PM by <k> »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2017, 11:21:44 PM »
Yeah, but it was being saved for the decimal coins wasn’t it?  Was it about four years old by the time that UK coins first used it in 1968?

Rhodesia: 1964; Australia and the Gambia, 1966; NZ, 1967; UK, 1968. Have I missed any?

There are so many commemoratives, not just for the 50c but others, that I imagine it would be a massive task to do a topic covering them all.  I’d like to see one though.

Massive's the word - count me out!

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2017, 11:38:17 PM »
But many are not for circulation which narrows it considerably! although of course there are still far too many issued.
Malcolm

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2017, 11:48:32 PM »
But many are not for circulation which narrows it considerably! although of course there are still far too many issued.
Is it mainly just the 20c, 50c, $1 and $2 that have been used for commemorative designs?  When I posted before, I was specifically thinking of the 2003 “Volunteers” set which I have.  For some reason I was remembering it as all six coins with commemorative designs, but a quick google revealed it was just the 20c, 50c and $1.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2017, 12:00:43 AM »
Yes it is confined to those four coins although last year all six coins were issued with the 50 years of decimal coinage obverse, a one off design which I have obtained (all six) from circulation.
Malcolm

Offline onecenter

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2017, 12:31:28 AM »
Rhodesia: 1964; Australia and the Gambia, 1966; NZ, 1967; UK, 1968. Have I missed any?

Massive's the word - count me out!
Canada in 1965.
Mark

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »

Offline onecenter

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2017, 01:01:05 PM »
Is it mainly just the 20c, 50c, $1 and $2 that have been used for commemorative designs?  When I posted before, I was specifically thinking of the 2003 “Volunteers” set which I have.  For some reason I was remembering it as all six coins with commemorative designs, but a quick google revealed it was just the 20c, 50c and $1.
Only recently has Australia expanded greatly into using the $2 coin for commemoratives.  For many years after the first circulating $2 coin was issued, it was the current (and standard) obverse and reverse designs.
Mark

Offline redlock

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2017, 08:09:24 PM »
Only recently has Australia expanded greatly into using the $2 coin for commemoratives.  For many years after the first circulating $2 coin was issued, it was the current (and standard) obverse and reverse designs.

I think it's quite obvious why the $2 coin has been used so much lately: Seigniorage. Probably the most profitable circulation coin for the RAM.
The $2 cc that have been issued were mostly coloured and thus mostly taken out of circulation.

I also think that the RAM should slow down issuing $2 cc a bit. Wishful thinking on my part, of course. Not going to happen.
In 2018, we can most likely expect three coloured $2 commemorating the Commenwealth Games.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2017, 08:15:28 PM »
...last year all six coins were issued with the 50 years of decimal coinage obverse, a one off design which I have obtained (all six) from circulation.
I’ve got the set with those coins in.  I was also after the other set, the one that included the 1c, 2c and round silver 50c (all dated 2016) but I missed out on it from the RAM, and prices on eBay etc are a bit above my price range.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2017, 05:36:36 AM »
The two dollar coin in Reply #20 in addition to the aborigine figure included the grass tree, Xanthorrhoea, common names for this included the blackboy which some people felt could be a reference to the aborigine elder and not politically correct but this surprisingly was never really commented upon to any extent.

An article about the origin of the Australian aborigine on the $2 coin Who is the person on the Australian Two Dollar Coin?
Malcolm