login

Author Topic: square made coin man with ponnytail  (Read 170 times)

Offline Michiel

• Deventer munten
square made coin man with ponnytail
« on: October 13, 2017, 10:43:57 AM »
must have been a round coin. front: man looking left with ponytail. at the end I can read clearly an E. Above the head are letters, but most of it is gone.
back: "rose circle" (or what is the english name for it?) a really clear 7 an the object in the middle.... a sad horse? that was my first idea. but i don't figure it out what i see.

coin should be 27a28 mm
3.90 gram left of it

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: square made coin man with ponnytail
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 01:05:52 PM »
Naples & Sicily under Spanish rule I think: a lot of these were quite crudely made, so the square flan is probably original, not clipped. The 'sad horse' is the badge of the Order of the Golden Fleece.

Alan

Offline Michiel

• Deventer munten
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 03:55:24 PM »
Thanks. but the sad horse is better than this  ;D

I think, this must be the one. a lot of variations. So.....
1 Tornese - Filippo IV 1630-1649
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces83698.html

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 09:15:15 PM »
I agree with Manzikert - Naples and Sicily 1 soldino, (15)47. The reverse design is a tied fleece as mentioned above.

My example (below) has a reasonably clear bit of text around the head which reads PHILIP. This is somewhat confusing, given Felipe II of Spain did not succeed to the throne of Naples until 1554, and in 1547 the king of Naples was Felipe's father Carlos I (aka Emperor Charles V). Was this struck with a frozen date but the addition of a later monarch?

Edit: Just read Michiel's post more thoroughly. 1647 does seem to fit better than 1547. I got the 1547 date from an "expert" who identified mine for me, long before the internet. Don't trust experts!  >:D

Offline Michiel

• Deventer munten
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 10:54:32 PM »
Idd. Internet have us al lot of bad thing. But for numismatic also a lot of good things.
1647 should be the right one.
In the old days , 30 years ago i didn’t had any resourse. And now i have woc  ;D

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 08:12:34 PM »
In the old days , 30 years ago i didn’t had any resourse. And now i have woc  ;D

Amen to that!  :)