Poll

Which is your favourite UK series E (variant) banknote ?

5 pounds - Elizabeth Fry
3 (75%)
10 pounds - Charles Darwin
1 (25%)
20 pounds - Edward Elgar
0 (0%)
I like them all equally
0 (0%)
I don't like any of them
0 (0%)
Don't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: October 09, 2017, 10:05:24 AM

Author Topic: Which is your favourite UK series E (variant) banknote ?  (Read 486 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Which is your favourite UK series E (variant) banknote ?
« on: October 01, 2017, 10:05:24 AM »
The banknote types of Series E were first issued from 1990 to 1994. From 1999 another version of Series E notes began to be issued, again showing historical figures. Why these are still regarded as being in Series E and not a new series, I don't know. This new set lacked a fifty pound note.

The images are not to scale. They are copyright of Pam West, who is an established and respected dealer of banknotes.
See the relevant page from her web site here.

So, which is your favourite reverse?

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Which is your favourite UK series E (variant) banknote ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »
I've gone for Charles Darwin. A strong portrait that includes a hummingbird - a foreign bird! I'm surprised UKIP didn't complain about that!
 :D  It was hard to choose between that and the Elizabeth Fry portrait. I am not religious, but the Quakers have quite a spotless reputation, unlike some of the more authoritarian religions or sects. I used to be very fond of Fry's chocolate too, in the days before I lost too many of my teeth.  :(  I sometimes wondered whether the five pound notes included subliminal advertising for chocolate.  :-\

The 20 pounds - I'm not so keen on the colours, and the wider design is not as strong or as attractive, IMO.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 11:21:33 AM »
Tut Tut, <k>, you haven’t used the word “Variant” for this topic, even though it appears to be the Bank of England’s official name for this series.  :)

I went for the £5 - the first E series didn’t depict a woman.  Even D managed it in the days before political correctness.

Notice how these portraits are smaller than those that appear on E.  Not sure why, I like how E’s fill up the space more.  Maybe it was to bring them more into line with the size of the Queen’s on the other side?

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 11:25:52 AM »
Tut Tut, <k>, you haven’t used the word “Variant” for this topic, even though it appears to be the Bank of England’s official name for this series.  :)

Course I have, see.  8)  You been dreaming or something?  :o

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 06:44:14 PM »
Only four people voted, but Elizabeth Fry is the clear winner. Edward Elgar didn't get any votes.