Poll

Which is your favourite UK Series F / G banknote?

£5 (Series G in polymer) - Sir Winston Churchill
0 (0%)
£10 (Series G in polymer) - Jane Austen
4 (100%)
£20 (Series F in paper) - Adam Smith
0 (0%)
£50 (Series F in paper) - Matthew Boulton and James Watt
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: October 22, 2017, 12:43:44 PM

Author Topic: Which is your favourite UK series F / G banknote?  (Read 471 times)

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
Which is your favourite UK series F / G banknote?
« on: October 01, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »
In 2007, Series F Bank of England notes began appearing.  The £20 had been first with Series E (Variant) in 1999, so it was appropriate that this denomination saw the debut of F.  The £50 followed in 2011 but as a rarely-seen banknote, few would have noticed.

It’s likely that the development of polymer notes delayed the updates to the £5 and £10.  When these finally appeared (£5 in 2016, £10 in 2017), polymer was introduced with them so they are classed as a separate series (G) for this reason alone.  However, it shares a fair few design similarities with F (any changes are necessitated by the polymer itself).  For this reason they can, for now, be taken as one series.

There are no plans as yet for a polymer £50 but the £20 will come in 2020, presumably with a different historical figure on the reverse side.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:29:41 PM by Alan71 »

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
Re: Which is your favourite UK Series F / G banknote?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 12:47:09 PM »
Polymer £5 (Series G)

Polymer £10 (Series G)

Paper £20 (Series F)

Paper £50 (Series F)

It’s difficult to find these from a google search without “SPECIMEN” on them, hence the differing quality and sizes of the above. I hate seeing “Specimen” on them - it’s like they’ve been submitted for medical tests!

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 12:58:24 PM »
I went for the £10.  The portrait is effectively “photoshopped” but, of the three regular notes, we’ve had to wait the longest for the £10 as series E (Variant) was first issued in 2000.  The £50 missed that series altogether, but as it’s hardly ever seen, who cares?

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 01:14:37 PM »
I agree on the 10 pounds. I don't know which artist designed the notes overall. I think the Bank of England doesn't mention the artist these days - it's probably meant to stay secret.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 01:24:51 PM »
The £20 sticks out like a sore thumb.  What’s going on there?  Portrait on the left and in profile, totally in contrast to the other notes, or what’s gone before.

The polymer notes have a wider white panel to accommodate the clear polymer window.  Other than that, there isn’t much difference to how Series F notes of the £5 and £10 denominations may have looked.

The white panel is reminiscent of the one on the Series D notes - a modern version of a classic design?

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Which is your favourite UK series F / G banknote?
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 01:30:20 PM »
Yes, it's a bit of a mess, and the Adam Smith 20 pound note is rather an ugly thing. Apparently he will be replaced by Turner in 2020.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 10:12:04 AM »
I notice you posted a tiny image of the Winston Churchill fiver, Alan71. You could be sent to prison for trying to skew the vote, you know.  :o

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 04:01:56 PM »
Yes, it was the best one I could find without “specimen” on it.  I might have to resort to taking a photo of an actual fiver.

I like the proposed polymer £20 design.  He looks about 12 on it though.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 04:15:26 PM »
He looks about 12 on it though.

There's just too much 12ism about these days.  :(

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 05:36:14 PM »
Apparently it’s based on a self-portrait done when he was 24 or thereabouts.  Probably “artwork-shopped” his own image to make him look better than he actually did...

The “Bank of England” and “Twenty Pounds” are placed the same as the equivalents are on the £5 and £10.  Series F had them on the right-hand side but the other way around (fonts are the same though).

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 05:59:51 PM »
To me the Churchill portrait looks a bit too photographic.  I’m surmising that this is due to him being the most recent historical figure ever to have appeared on banknotes (cue for someone to prove me wrong as I haven’t looked into it).  Jane Austen works much better as it’s clearly a painting.  I also like how she’s not looking at the “camera”.  The Queen stares at you on one side, I don’t want whoever is on the back to do so as well!!

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 06:45:28 PM »