Author Topic: Aurangzeb. Rupee.Mint Khambayat. AH 1105 RY 37.with additional letter 'Swaad'  (Read 261 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
At first sight, the coin looks like a normal rupee of Khambayat, minted in the 37th year of Aurangzeb's reign in AH 1105. A closer look reveals a small letter SWAAD between the Julu جلand Seen سن on the reverse of the coin.

I have not been able to find a single image of a similar coin on the net. Mr Shailen Bhandare informs me that the coin is known but not published. A friend sent me an image of another coin. So surely a known coin. Coins with an additional letter 'Mim' are known for RY 17 and RY 41. This is RY 37. Another mystery that needs further investigation.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Is that the part left of the centre (left of 37) of the central line on the right picture?

Why not write the coin up? You already have a neat picture. I believe you are an ONS member...
Thanks very much for posting it here, though. :thumbsup:

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Thanks Peter for the prompt. Will seriously consider it.

In the meanwhile, my attempt to follow Overlord and other members.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Well done, asm! I instantly understood why I was looking in the wrong place and where I should have been looking.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.