Author Topic: Italy 2018: 70th anniversary of the constitution  (Read 345 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
Italy 2018: 70th anniversary of the constitution
« on: September 29, 2017, 01:50:16 PM »
In 2018, Italy is going to issue a 2 euro commemorative coin for the 70th anniversary of its constitution.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: Italy 2018: 70th anniversary of the constitution
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 01:14:22 AM »
This - see attached image at the bottom - is what the coin will look like. The design is somewhat busy, but I like it. :)

What do we see? In the center, Enrico De Nicola, then provisional head of state, signing the "Act of Promulgation of the Constitution of the Italian Republic" at the Palazzo Giustiniani on 27 December 1947. That constitution became effective on 1 January 1948. On the right we have Alcide De Gasperi, head of government, and on the left there is Umberto Terracini, President of the Constituent Assembly. An image from Wikipedia:

The words CON SICURA COSCIENZA apparently are what De Nicola said to De Gasperi: "L'ho letta attentamente. Possiamo firmare con sicura coscienza." Thus something like "I have read it carefully. We can sign with a safe conscience."

The coin should come out in January. Mintage will be 4 million.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Italy 2018: 70th anniversary of the constitution
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 11:39:11 AM »
Excellent design. A must have for me. A moment of faith and trust, reflected in the motto, and co-operative achievement, reflected in the signing. Politics at its best, a relief at a time when it's showing its worst side.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.