Author Topic: Dioscuri?  (Read 65 times)

Offline gpimper

Dioscuri?
« on: Today at 12:09:11 AM »
Possibly the twins (Dioscuri) but I'm not sure...high gold content...about 30 %.  I know it's not in the best condition.  Reverse is not the best. Sorry, 20 mm and about 4.6 grams
« Last Edit: Today at 03:16:49 AM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: Dioscuri?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 02:31:39 AM »
The Dioscouroi are usually shown wearing pilei, tight fitting domed caps, and the left head seems to be laureate. You don't give a weight or diameter which would be very useful.

I think it is more likely to be something like a coin of Rhegium in Bruttium, south Italy, under the Romans, c.215-150 BC. The one I have found is 26 mm and 10.54 grammes http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/bruttium/rhegion/SNGANS_743.1.jpg The portraits are of Apollo and his sister Artemis, with a tripod (the badge of Rhegium) on the reverse.

It definitely not base gold: if it were even 9 carat (about 37.5 %) it might only be very slightly pitted. Ancient gold coins are usually as pure gold as they could make them (often 23.5 carat or better) or made of electrum (40-50% gold, the rest silver) which are usually found still quite gold looking. Your coin can only be a bronze or brass piece by the amount of corrosion.

Alan

Offline gpimper

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:19:08 AM »
Great information.  Thank you!  I'm still working on this one.  Great information about how gold pits...I didn't know that.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:47:01 AM »
As far as medals go, however, one of our hobbies is medal detecting...and we are pretty good at it.  My Daughter said it was a bit gold...I trust her :-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

« Reply #4 on: Today at 03:58:19 AM »
No offense intended.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:01:53 PM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:00:00 AM »
Metal detectors indeed give an indication of the metal, but that indication is absolutely not reliable. It doesn't prevent metal detector pilots from digging up unholy quantities of aluminium soft drink can lips. :) See here for a story where a metal detector changes its mind about the metal.

Also, trust Manzikert to get a design right. I have yet to see him getting it wrong. He's simply amazing.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.