Author Topic: Mountains and volcanoes on coins  (Read 24628 times)

Galapagos

Mountains and volcanoes on coins
« on: September 04, 2009, 03:00:11 AM »
Here are some I found while Googling.

1] Chile - 1 peso, 1828.

2] Philippines - 1 peso, 1905.

3] Photo of Mt Redoubt, Alaska, blowing its top.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 02:23:09 PM by <k> »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Mountains and volcanoes on coins
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 01:58:06 AM »
There are a few types of Mexican  circulation coins with a pyramid in the foreground and Popocatepetl in the background. Mexicans hold the Popocatepetl in awe, even though it is dormant. When I flew past it, a few years ago, the Mexican passengers all stormed to one side of the plane to see the top, which is usually in the clouds. I could feel how the pilot had trouble controlling the plane ...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 02:09:18 AM »
Found another one. This is San Marino KM 205, 20 lire 1987. It is highly doubtful that it circulated, of course. The three volcanoes may be an allusion to the San Marino coat of arms, but on the coat of arms, there are three mountains topped by towers with a giant feather sticking out (KM erroneously calls them smoking towers).

Peter
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:00:46 PM by <k> »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Galapagos

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 02:21:37 PM »
There are a few types of Mexican  circulation coins with a pyramid in the foreground and Popocatepetl in the background.

I posted a topic on one of those coins here:-

My Favourite Mexican Circulation Coin Design.

Mexicans hold the Popocatepetl in awe, even though it is dormant.

I deliberately restricted myself to smoking volcanoes here, as they're more spectacular. Apparently Manuel Noriega, the former dictator of Panama, was said to have had a liking for having certain of his political foes taken up in a helicopter and dropped down a live volcano. A bit James Bondish, but I suppose it's nice to know that someone CARES that much.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 02:24:06 PM by <k> »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
Now this could be a tricky one. I'll dedicate this post to Christian, who has difficulty telling the difference between Slovakia and Slovenia. He also thinks Mauritanians come from Mauritius and that the good people of Kyrgyzstan were persecuted by Saddam Hussein.  ???

1] Kriváň, a symbolic mountain in the High Tatras of Slovakia.

2] Triglav, the highest mountain in Slovenia.

3] Kriváň on the 20 halierov of Slovakia's old coinage.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:13:17 PM by coffeetime »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »
See how the Slovaks want to confuse us all, by using the name "Slovensko"? Fortunately we Germans were clever enough to use names for the two countries that make the differentiation much easier. ;D  While you constantly mix Slovekia and Slovania up, we have "Slowakei" and "Slowenien".

But it is interesting indeed how similar not only the country names (which both refers to Slavs) are. Even the flags and coats of arms are almost lookalikes.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e6/Flag_of_Slovakia.svg/450px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f0/Flag_of_Slovenia.svg/450px-Flag_of_Slovenia.svg.png

What helps is the alphabet. Just as you can easily tell where _Es_tonia, _La_tvia and _Li_thuania are, by going from north to south alphabetically, you can do that with Slov_a_kia and Slov_e_nia too.

Back to mountains ... here are three pieces from Switzerland, designed by Stephan Bundi. Not actually circulation coins, but they were available at face.

Christian

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 07:10:51 PM »
And on these coins the Himalaya is depicted: 2 Tibetan 5 sho coins, a mountain with 2 suns and a mountain with moon and sun.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 03:26:09 PM by coffeetime »

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 07:23:24 PM »
No fair!

Bart's coin has three mountains - mine only two :'(

A type I was completely unaware of until recently.  (thanks Afrasi ;))
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 10:37:28 AM »
Here's one Indian coin showing mountains..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 10:51:52 AM »
Back to mountains on Swiss coins:

2004 : Matterhorn

2005 : Jungfrau

2006 : Piz Bernina

Aditya

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 11:07:49 AM »
Here is a Libertad silver bullion piece from Mexico (image: worldcoingallery.com). In the background you see the volcanoes Iztaccihuatl and Popocatepetl.

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:44:36 AM »
Here's a Mexican 20 centavos coin. You can see those same mountains/volcanoes on the reverse of the coin, as well as The Pyramid of the Sun.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:38:15 AM by <k> »

Offline Ukrainii Pyat

• Collector of everything numismatic
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 02:47:55 PM »
Here is a Libertad silver bullion piece from Mexico (image: worldcoingallery.com). In the background you see the volcanoes Iztaccihuatl and Popocatepetl.

Christian

There are mountains in the background also?  I only saw the ones on the Angel of Liberty :o ;D
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 10:39:06 AM »
Hehe, that angel, and also the pyramid on the 20 centavos coin, I have seen myself. But while I actually went all the way up to the pyramid top (March equinox zoo ;D ), I have only seen the Angel from the street level. No mountains up there, hehe, and none in the background anyway ...

Several US state quarters have "mountain" scenes too. Here are three of them; if you need more mountains, check the Nebraska and Washington SQs out for example. Images of the NH, CA and CO quarters are below; for high-resolution images click on the state names.

New Hampshire (2000): Old Man of the Mountain. Three years later the coin design would have been a different one as parts of the rock fell off in 2003. - California (2005): The "Half Dome" in Yosemite NP. - Colorado (2006): Longs Peak.

Christian

translateltd

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 10:54:07 AM »
Then there's Japan's Tsukuba Expo '85 coin, with a stylised representation of Mt Tsukuba on one side and the Expo logo on the other (I assume the triangular symbol is meant to be vaguely reminiscent of a mountain, too).

I moved to Tsukuba in 1986 after all the fuss had died down so got to enjoy the shiny new steel-and-glass shopping centres and exhibition buildings without having to cope with an international Expo at the same time ...

(Images "borrowed" from eBay since my own example is locked away somewhere)