Author Topic: Danishmendid AE, lost in the mail  (Read 829 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Danishmendid AE, lost in the mail
« on: September 19, 2017, 01:59:19 AM »
I was happy to be able to buy this rare coin, a Danishmendid AE dirham of 12th century Anatolia - shortly after Manzikert, mirroring the Byzantine coinage of the newly conquered Anatolians. However, it never came, lost in the mail in the Netherlands. If you see it somewhere, please let me know. It measures 27 mm and weighs 8.16 gr. It's Album 1247.
-- Paul

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Re: Danishmendid AE, lost in the mail
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 03:35:02 AM »
Sorry for the loss.  Hope you can track it down.  I know how it feels to loose coins in the mail.  Very difficult to find a replacement, even if the package is insured. That coin is truly a beaut!  :(
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »
That's bad. There's still hope. Mail sorters would get another job if they were smarter, so it may be stupidity, rather than theft. It could still be in the innards of a machine, waiting for the next time a repairman has to take it apart.

Still, just in case, you may want to mail the picture to Dutch IAPN members Schulman and Verschoor, non-member Henzen and keep an eye on auction catalogues (they appear online) and online auctions.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »
The coin came from one of the Dutch IAPN members. The envelope didn't contain information about the coin (nor the price), so probably the thieves just think it's 'something Arabic'. Maybe we can organize a World of Coins catalog 'Lost in the mail'? It happens to everybody, now and then. Or would this attract thieves?
-- Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 06:17:26 PM »
Any member can propose any new board. All it takes is a vote. If you need help to set up the poll, just yell. I think it would be helpful if we'd have a moderator for that board (hint, hint :))

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 11:07:21 PM »
What does a mpderator do on WoC?
-- Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 11:39:59 PM »
In principle, there's a board that spells it out in detail here. In practice, this particular board may work best if it is moderated a bit more pro-actively. We need to collect experience in and knowledge of how to react to lost mail shipments, find out who bears the loss and how to check if a coin is stolen. You can't do that yourself for all countries, but with some motivation of others, I am sure you can build up a useful data base for major countries represented in our membership on your new board.

Peter