Old Portugal

Started by bruce61813, September 03, 2009, 02:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce61813

Bruce, what type of coins are you looking for?

Bruce

...there must be an echo in here or we are in a Monty Python skit...

oldecurb

To Bruce from Bruce

echo echo

Azores, old Portugal, any coin with horses on it from the year dot to present, pre 1900 from around the world (1 of each Krause variety) and of course improving the quality of my own NZ coins
Bruce

Figleaf

Quote from: oldecurb on September 03, 2009, 03:30:55 AM
old Portugal

Fun. Thanks to bookworm, I was able to expand my collection greatly on a visit to Portugal. One coin I really like is the one pictured here. It's a pataca 1812, KM 345.1. Bookworm once got his hands on a vintem found in the church of São Domingos do Serra, which, he tells me consists of a church, three and a half farms and a bar. The coin was covered in crud and it took him months to make it presentable. We had a lengthy and very funny exchange on how it might have been lost and how much easier it would have been if the lost coin would have been this pataca. In the end, I was so thoroughly confused I was convinced that the lost coin was this pataca. This taught me how a coin without a story can nevertheless in the end have a story. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.