Author Topic: Very barbarous Constans  (Read 420 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Very barbarous Constans
« on: September 16, 2017, 05:28:05 PM »
Barbarous imitations being not expensive, I swamped my collection, losing an overview in the process and devoting myself to other areas. But occasionally a coin comes along that I can't resist. Like this very barbarous style of which the prototype still is pretty recognizable (tentatively). The obverse shows a bust t.r. with lettering ONSTIIA or Constans (?) and the reverse two Victories meeting with a mint formel in the exerque like ONA. But no! that's reading too much into the cacographic scrawl. And was a Two Victories coin ever minted by Constantine's offspring in Constantinopolis?

So do you follow me when I say that it is an imitation of a Constans or Constantius II from the 335-348 period (Constantine I and Constantine II having a fairly different form of their heads, besides, Constantine I only coined Two Victories holding a shield).

Diameter 13 mm, weight 1.3 gr.

By the way, it would be nice if you show comparable style coins.
-- Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Very barbarous Constans
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 02:55:37 PM »
I think this is the model (picture and description from Wildwinds):

Constans, Aquileia, AE4. CONSTAN-S PF AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right / VICTORIAE DD AVGGQ NN, Two Victorys facing each other, holding wreaths, upright palm branch between them. Mintmark AQS dot. RIC VIII Aquileia 91.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.