Author Topic: Coins to identify  (Read 478 times)

Offline Jimmote

Coins to identify
« on: September 27, 2017, 03:20:34 PM »
Hi everyone

I was wondering if you can help me identifying these coins.

Thank you everyone.

Jimmy

Coin 1: 1,76 g /20 mm
Coin 2:  2.74 g / 20 mm.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Coins to identify
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 05:54:41 PM »
Especially the lower one looks Ayyubid. Can not give you a more specific attribution a prima vista.
Saw you posted several coin pictures with what looks like the Savoca watermark. Did you see these coins on Ebay and plan to buy them ? If so, it is not a good idea to just copy their pictures and post them here. You may cause serious problems for the WoC website because of copyright infringement !

Anthony

Offline Jimmote

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 10:15:30 PM »
Thanks Anthony...

I am new here, so if I am making a mess with copyrights let me know!

I did buy them all at Savoca (I only post pics of coins I bought), but I need to identify them, as they are sold just as "islamic coins". I am using zeno and some other sources (books) but without knowing arabic it is really tough as my attributions are just based on similarity to pictures at forums and books..and there are thousands of coins to compare with.

If I buy the coins, I assume I can post their pictures. Am I right? Otherwise they would own pictures of something that is mine...they may have to pay me royalties :)
So please let me know if I should take all the pictures again.

Thanks

Jimmy

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 10:58:47 PM »
I just don't know how US, Italian and EU law works in such cases. I don't even know which law would apply. We get into copyright "fights", but only rarely. We commit preventive premeditated surrender as we can't afford legal advice, so we're an easy target. In this case, your best options are probably to stand ready to pull the pictures at first notice, ask Savoca for their permission and assume it's granted if they don't reply or make your own picture.

See this thread for some ideas on making professional looking pictures with stuff you probably already have. Knowing how to make excellent macro pictures yourself is a benefit by itself.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Jimmote

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 12:17:19 AM »
Wuaw...that thread on the CD spindle and alike was very useful. Thanks.

Jimmy