Safavids, Shah Sultan Husayn I, AH 1112 (1700 AD), Silver Shahi (round flan)

Started by aws22, September 04, 2017, 11:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aws22

Safavids, Shah Sultan Husayn I, AH 1112 (1700 AD), Silver Shahi (round flan), mint? Type B (1105-1135 AH)(1694-1722 AD)
Weight: 1.85 gm
Diameter: 16 mm
Mint place: Off flan (Possibly Isfahan for such date)
Metal Silver
Obverse: "گشت صاحب سکه از توفیق رب المشرقین/ در جهان کلب امیرالمومنین سلطان حسین ", Gasht Sahib-i Sekkeh az towfiq-i rab-i al-mashriqin/ dar Jehan kalb-i 'amir al mu'minin Sultan Husayn, meaning: Money he struck by the Grace of the Lord of East and West, in the gateway [to the world], Sultan Husayn, the [watch] dog of the Prince of the Faithful. The date "1112 ۱۱۱۲" at the bottom at 7 O'clock.
Reverse: Shiite formula (Kalima) "لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله علی ولی الله"
meaning, "no god but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God, 'Ali is the chosen one of God" with a circular legend of the 12 Shiite Imams " علي حسن حسين علي محمد جعفر موسى علي محمد علي حسن محمد " 'Ali Hasan Hussein 'Ali Muhammad Jafar Musa 'Ali Muhammad 'Ali Hasan Muhammad" (from "Coins of the Shah of Persia")
Note: Specimens with date and mint of type A & B are relatively scarce, especially for the smaller denomination.
Nice small and scarce coin.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Figleaf

Thank you for your patience and describing every element of the coin. To gether with the index, you are working on a very important tool for collectors.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Thank you Peter, I find this coin has great amount of information and details in the small space available. The only thing missing is the mint place which would have completed the picture. By reading all the information that I have presented it will enable me and WoC members to learn and share a lot about the period of history during which this coin was issued.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".