Author Topic: Getting licence to import numismatic coins  (Read 1237 times)

Offline rubykingsly

• Reader
Getting licence to import numismatic coins
« on: September 01, 2017, 04:36:31 PM »
Hello friends

I have brought some coins from china through ebay.com , it was sustained by customs about 1 month , yesterday i got a call memo letter from customs and central excise  ( India Post ), says submit all your invoice , transaction details , I called to the customs office today after discussion the officer told me that i need licence to import coins and if u dont have licence dont do it again , :'( , Really i dont know how to get ,and  were to get numismatic import licence to buy this cheap coins , please help !!!  ???
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:27:40 PM by Bimat »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 04:43:09 PM »
They always ask for license, which you can't get. Whenever you receive such notice from customs, just send them the invoice of your purchase (through e-mail) indicating the memo number and do not utter a word about the license. Also mention that the coins are for personal collection and not commercial purpose. This works pretty well. They will charge you customs duty (typically 20% of the invoice value) which has to paid to postman when he gets the letter for you at your address. This process takes around a week. India Post will charge ₹30 for this (it is included in customs duty, shown separately).

If you need more help (mail format etc.), please drop me a PM.

Don't worry about your coins, they are in safe hands. They will keep them until you pay the custom duty... :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Manfred1

Re: Getting licence to import numismatic coins
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 02:23:03 PM »
the officer told me that i need licence to import coins

:wall: and i thought that that only happens in Africa .....

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:54:10 PM »
The rule exists only on paper, practically nobody has such license, except perhaps the registered auctioneers which are not more than five. Writing a simple e-mail/letter to the customs department to release the letter works pretty well (my own experience). :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.