Author Topic: Text and Fonts on Coins  (Read 33640 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Text and Fonts on Coins
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2011, 12:51:03 AM »
George VI, Silver Rupee, 1945, Large '5', Bombay Mint .

So does that mean there is a small '5' too?

It's interesting that the legends on the Indian coin are all in English. The legends on GVI's British coins were largely in Latin, or Latin abbreviations. Even his name was given in Latin: 'GEORGIVS VI'. The same applies to our current coins, apart from the fact that there is no Latin version of 'Elizabeth'. Most Britons do not know what the Latin abbreviations stand for anyway.  ;D

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2011, 12:54:27 AM »
But you wrote about a fundamental disagreement - Britain vs Europe or the Continent - which I don't see.

Christian

We're having one now. (And then there's the euro...)  ;D  No, it's only the handwriting that is different: Continentals often write a 7 with a horizontal stroke through the middle, and the English usually write a 1 as a simple vertical line, whereas the Continentals mostly add the top diagonal stroke but not the bottom horizontal one.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2011, 12:56:09 AM »
So does that mean there is a small '5' too?

The common coins of this category dated 1945  has same size of all the fonts 1945 , thats include number 5 also.

Due to large 5 the coin become scrace & highly valued , later will check & post the KM reference if mentioned in it.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/

translateltd

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2011, 12:56:43 AM »
Two different issues. Yes, I agree that this particular "1" is different at its bottom from what you usually see on coins (regardless of where they are from). But you wrote about a fundamental disagreement - Britain vs Europe or the Continent - which I don't see.

Christian

Brits generally write a 1 as a vertical stroke with no top hook, and until comparatively recently didn't cross their 7's.  The hooked 1 used on the continent can easily look like a 7 to an English eye.

And just to be awkward, as for J-style 1's being unusual, cop the first date digit on this English coin:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:48:37 PM by coffeetime »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2011, 12:59:46 AM »
Yeah, but as I wrote, this is not a "Britain vs Continent" thing. The Dutch are much more likely to write the "1" and "7" the British-American way. The Germans tend to add that small diagonal line to the "1" even in handwritten digits, and their "7" often has a horizontal middle line ...

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2011, 01:13:29 AM »
I think the one is in calligraphed style, not meant as a numeral for printing. Start holding the nib on the side for the slanted line, then go down with some force on the pen holder to open the nib at the split, end by lifting the pen gradually from the paper while making a slight leftward movement. Prof. Oswald Wenkebach, who designed this coin, was known for his natural, figurative style. The numeral fits that style.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2011, 01:17:55 AM »
Handwriting-style lettering does not often occur on coins.

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
Once in a while it does look interesting. But I guess there is a reason why most coins have uppercase "block" letters - same base line, same "top line", same height. That was also one of the reasons why in the 1930s some German coin designers refused to work with Fraktur ...

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2011, 03:19:26 AM »
Here is a British 1938 sixpence of King George VI. Look at the three characters between the date. GR is clear enough: it stands for Georgius Rex. But what is the third character supposed to represent? It has never made any sense to me.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:39:33 PM by coffeetime »

translateltd

« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2011, 04:29:10 AM »
Here is a British 1938 sixpence of King George VI. Look at the three characters between the date. GR is clear enough: it stands for Georgius Rex. But what is the third character supposed to represent? It has never made any sense to me.

I for Imperator.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2011, 12:06:14 PM »
I for Imperator.

So they stuck a stroke through it, and gave it a hook at the bottom, just to make it look like a "J" and confuse me.  >:(

Note also the initials "K G".  As a child I thought they stood for "King George", but they are in fact the initials of the designer George Kruger-Gray.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2011, 12:22:13 PM »
So they stuck a stroke through it, and gave it a hook at the bottom, just to make it look like a "J" and confuse me.  >:(

When I first saw one of those, I thought the monogram was "SRJ". And for some reason, neither Google nor Wikipedia were around to help me ... On the later (royal but not imperial) 6d pieces, with the G and the R and the small VI in the middle, it was much more obvious.

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2011, 06:50:15 PM »
Unofficial coins have more scope to be innovative or unorthodox in their approach. Here is a 2 pesetas coin of 1937 from Asturias y Leon, which was controlled by the Republicans at this point in the Civil War. I like the panoramic effect given to "PESETAS" in the legend, but it is somewhat spoilt by the fact that the surrounding numerals are not shown from the same perspective.

Offline Destrans

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »
Hello  ;D

Another portuguese coin with Cubist style type.
Enjoy!

100 Escudos Fernando Pessoa

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:30:42 PM by Niels »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2011, 09:21:47 PM »
I once past the gates of the ministry of the economy in Seoul while a group of farmers was demonstrating just outside. My "guide", a nice youngster, apologized fo the demonstration. I tried to explain my happiness that Koreans could demonstrate without risking their lives...

I have that same feeling in Portugal. Since it got rid of its dictatorship, it is experimenting with forms, politics, colours, communication, architecture, mores, anything that was sacred under the dictators. The experiments are making Portugal a smiling, vibrant, colourful country again. The coins reflect it. Like elsewhere, not all the experiments are a success, but their very existence is wonderful.

Peter