Author Topic: Text and Fonts on Coins  (Read 43544 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: Text and Fonts on Coins
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2011, 12:59:46 AM »
Yeah, but as I wrote, this is not a "Britain vs Continent" thing. The Dutch are much more likely to write the "1" and "7" the British-American way. The Germans tend to add that small diagonal line to the "1" even in handwritten digits, and their "7" often has a horizontal middle line ...

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2011, 01:13:29 AM »
I think the one is in calligraphed style, not meant as a numeral for printing. Start holding the nib on the side for the slanted line, then go down with some force on the pen holder to open the nib at the split, end by lifting the pen gradually from the paper while making a slight leftward movement. Prof. Oswald Wenkebach, who designed this coin, was known for his natural, figurative style. The numeral fits that style.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2011, 01:17:55 AM »
Handwriting-style lettering does not often occur on coins.

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
Once in a while it does look interesting. But I guess there is a reason why most coins have uppercase "block" letters - same base line, same "top line", same height. That was also one of the reasons why in the 1930s some German coin designers refused to work with Fraktur ...

Christian

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2011, 03:19:26 AM »
Here is a British 1938 sixpence of King George VI. Look at the three characters between the date. GR is clear enough: it stands for Georgius Rex. But what is the third character supposed to represent? It has never made any sense to me.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:39:33 PM by coffeetime »

translateltd

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2011, 04:29:10 AM »
Here is a British 1938 sixpence of King George VI. Look at the three characters between the date. GR is clear enough: it stands for Georgius Rex. But what is the third character supposed to represent? It has never made any sense to me.

I for Imperator.

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2011, 12:06:14 PM »
I for Imperator.

So they stuck a stroke through it, and gave it a hook at the bottom, just to make it look like a "J" and confuse me.  >:(

Note also the initials "K G".  As a child I thought they stood for "King George", but they are in fact the initials of the designer George Kruger-Gray.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2011, 12:22:13 PM »
So they stuck a stroke through it, and gave it a hook at the bottom, just to make it look like a "J" and confuse me.  >:(

When I first saw one of those, I thought the monogram was "SRJ". And for some reason, neither Google nor Wikipedia were around to help me ... On the later (royal but not imperial) 6d pieces, with the G and the R and the small VI in the middle, it was much more obvious.

Christian

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2011, 06:50:15 PM »
Unofficial coins have more scope to be innovative or unorthodox in their approach. Here is a 2 pesetas coin of 1937 from Asturias y Leon, which was controlled by the Republicans at this point in the Civil War. I like the panoramic effect given to "PESETAS" in the legend, but it is somewhat spoilt by the fact that the surrounding numerals are not shown from the same perspective.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:50:06 PM by <k> »

Offline Destrans

« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »
Hello  ;D

Another portuguese coin with Cubist style type.
Enjoy!

100 Escudos Fernando Pessoa

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:30:42 PM by Niels »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2011, 09:21:47 PM »
I once past the gates of the ministry of the economy in Seoul while a group of farmers was demonstrating just outside. My "guide", a nice youngster, apologized fo the demonstration. I tried to explain my happiness that Koreans could demonstrate without risking their lives...

I have that same feeling in Portugal. Since it got rid of its dictatorship, it is experimenting with forms, politics, colours, communication, architecture, mores, anything that was sacred under the dictators. The experiments are making Portugal a smiling, vibrant, colourful country again. The coins reflect it. Like elsewhere, not all the experiments are a success, but their very existence is wonderful.

Peter

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2011, 10:43:19 PM »
Actually a similar font was used for the 10 coin issued to commemorate the Athens 2004 Olympics:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_j1iFxQnCmd4/S-qr2oSiQWI/AAAAAAAAAkE/6KnYea2ALEk/s1600/2004-jogos+olimpicos.jpg

Christian
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:16:06 PM by <k> »

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2011, 12:01:48 PM »
Here is a 1 koruna coin from the Nazi protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. The name of the state is in boring upper-case.

The 50 haleru coin shows the name of the state in an attractive lower-case font.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:51:15 PM by <k> »

Online <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2011, 12:04:08 PM »
An unusual "25" on the Czechoslovak 25 haleru of the 1920s and 1930s. Not entirely successful, I think, and no other denominations were given the same treatment.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:52:18 PM by <k> »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2011, 04:47:03 PM »
The 50 haleru coin shows the name of the state in an attractive lower-case font.

Not attractive. >:D That is just what you get when you have to use "Fraktur" fonts on coins. Such an inscription looks bad (well, unbalanced) enough if it goes along the rim of a coin.*  Fraktur in all caps would be even worse, and has hardly ever been used ...

(* On an imaginary horizontal line it can look good, see the first post here: http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,7404.0.html)

Christian