Poll

Which is your favourite Isle of Man Viking Ship ?

1 - 1971 to 1975 50p
1 (14.3%)
2 - 1976 to 1979 50p
1 (14.3%)
3 - 1979: Day of Tynwald 50p
1 (14.3%)
4 - 1980 to 1984 50p
1 (14.3%)
5 - 1985 to 1987 50p
0 (0%)
6 - 2017 20p
1 (14.3%)
I like them all equally
2 (28.6%)
I have no preference
0 (0%)
I dislike all of them
0 (0%)
Don't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Which is your favourite Isle of Man Viking Ship ?  (Read 163 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Which is your favourite Isle of Man Viking Ship ?
« on: September 01, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
Which is your favourite Isle of Man Viking ship design? I believe I have shown all those that have appeared on the circulation coins. See the image below for the relevant numbers.

See also the Isle of Man topic from this point.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Which is your favourite Isle of Man Viking Ship ?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 05:29:43 PM »
I went for number 2, by Barry Stanton. It's a very classy design. I found it a difficult choice between that and number 4. The College of Arms theme, number 5, I do not like at all. Apart from number 5, I find them all to be excellent designs, though it's a pity that the design on the 20p (number 6) is slightly obscured by the layout of the denomination.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 04:05:21 PM »
I'd go for number 5 as the least bad. Apart from 5, all are longships, men-of-war in full war dress: shields outboard and "dragon" head mounted. Number 4 is stylised, allowing for artistic freedom, but the sail is way over the top. That's a mattress, not a sail. Numbers 1, 2, 4 and 6 fail heavily for not showing oars. Longships were basically rowed. The sail was used only to support the rowers in favourable wind, hence the simplistic rigging. Number 3 shows some oars, but its rigging, with a rope around the dragon's neck and its logo on the sail, borders on the ridiculous. That leaves number 5, which is schematised and rendered symmetrical. It is fine heraldically, especially since it draws on the silhouet of a cog ship. A medieval artist would have found the design totally acceptable.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 05:13:13 PM »
So you've gone for realism. Well, it was all right for you, watching them all come in as a lad, but as for me, I just go for the aesthetics.  :-[

Even so, they are preferable to the Dutch version, don't you think?

See: The Netherlands Under Nazi Occupation.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 05:49:14 PM »
I would have put it like: where the designers go for realism, I judge the design on realism. If they don't, realism is not relevant. Stylised designs like your number 4 or heraldic elements like your number 5 can by definition not be judged on realism.

Nico de Haas, who designed that Dutch coin, was a child of the thirties. It shows in his design, with bold, artful but unnatural shapes, especially the waves and the cloud behind the ship. The ship itself is as stylised - though in a different art style - as your design number four, so realism doesn't count. The art style of the design is fine and in tune with contemporary fashion. It is not my taste, but I am old enough to be disgusted by De Haas' political preferences, so that will probably influence my artistic judgement. Your judgement will undoubtedly vary and there's nothing against that.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 05:55:25 PM »
I do consider the Dutch piece to be well designed, if scarcely realistic. Yes, I do like the design - it is original, and there is nothing else like it. The politics behind the design were of course execrable, but liking the design doesn't make me like the politics or make me in any way responsible for them.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 10:02:23 PM »
No winner in this poll either. It has to be a conspiracy.  :o