Author Topic: Cyprus and Malta: Got any Pound/Lira Notes left?  (Read 261 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Cyprus and Malta: Got any Pound/Lira Notes left?
« on: September 01, 2017, 11:51:15 AM »
If you still have pre-euro paper money from Cyprus and/or Malta, notes that you do not want to keep for your collection, it is now time to exchange them. In both countries, the redemption period for coins ended a while ago - around the end of this year comes the deadline for the notes.

In Cyprus, the old pound/lira banknotes can be redeemed until 31 December 2017 (fixed rate of 0.585274 CYP per euro). With Maltese Lira notes (fixed rate of 0.4293 MTL per euro), you have one more month - until 31 January 2018.

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Cyprus and Malta: Got any Pound/Lira Notes left?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 03:53:29 PM »
I never owned any Cyprus notes and only a few Maltese notes. When Malta started selling silver commemoratives, I noticed that there was no currency requirement. I took a chance buying Maltese banknotes and sending them by mail to the selling agency, Malta Coin Distribution Centre. That actually worked, so for a few years, I got those coins for nominal value. At some point, they sent my notes back, with a letter saying I could only buy the coins at the advertised rates in foreign currency. Those were the only notes I sold at a loss. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.