Author Topic: Shah Jahan: Rupee, Allahabad, AH 1045 RY8, KM 235.5......full die impressions !  (Read 244 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Shah Jahan, Silver Rupee, Allahabad, AH 1045 RY8, KM 235.5

Lovely coin with complete die impressions on both sides. I've generally found this is not an easy mint to come by in any condition.

Another peculiarity is the manner in which the AH date is engraved/spread out on the Obverse within the inner square area with '10' at lower left; '4' slightly in centre-right and the last digit '5' to lower right.

These small but subtle differences makes collecting Rupee's of Shah Jahan a mind boggling exercise of seemingly endless varieties.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
A flaming beauty, Mitresh. TFP.

The characteristics you point out show in my opinion a different design objective. We are used to think of documents and writing as a way to pass information. Therefore, we present the information logically and as clearly as we can. The die sinker of this coin had another priority: arranging the obligatory elements on the coin in such a way that they formed a pleasing hole.

I think he did not even place the date on the design, leaving it to a junior engraver, telling him to put it somewhere in the square, where there is place. Maybe a more experienced/gifted/unhurried engraver would have chosen to put the four figures in open places near the four corners?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Apologies for delay in responding Peter.

I have never seen the date arranged in this fashion like on this coin. Mostly the date is knit tightly together. In square area types, they are either inside or outside the square, to the left or right at bottom of square. In circular area types, mostly they are outside the inner circle to the top or at bottom but sometimes within the circle too. However, whatever the type of design on the coin, the AH date is always engraved together as one composite whole.

If you look closely at the space at bottom within the inner square, you will notice there was enough space where the '10' is to accomodate the full date together but instead it was not done and spread out in the fashion it currently appears which intrigues me and begs the question 'Why' ?
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
Indeed the uncommon way of Ah year location that is  spreaded on Obverse .Let me check my coin.
Cheers  ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/