News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Gadhaiya Paisa - Om type, simplified calligraphy

Started by Finn235, August 31, 2017, 08:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn235

Still working on an overhaul of my discussion on these coins, but I found it interesting that even in a very niche collecting area, nobody has directly addressed these coins online. I finally caved and ordered a copy of Maheshwari's book, but I want to take my own notes to see how well we agree. Not even sure if he covers these coins.

Billon "Gadhaiya Paisa", Malwa type
Possibly related to the Omkara monastery type
13mm
4.18g

Obv: Degenerate Gadhaiya type bust with downward crescent "eye", Nagari or Devanagari letter behind (not "Ja" as is standard for the type... what is it?)
Rev: Remnants of fire altar and arms of attendants, very simple style "Om" replaces shaft

I have seen a scant few pictures of similar coins online, all seem to be similarly dumpy billon, and all have the downward crescent eye; a type common among the Horseman types, but not found on any Sri Omkara types. They also seem to be of cruder workmanship than the normal "om" type, and also made of lower quality billon.

I know THCoins has a good example of the "normal" Om type, perhaps he can share it here for discussion.

To my knowledge, these are not covered by Deyell or Mitchiner.

THCoins

Below my "Om" type, this is close to Mitchiner NIS 434 (The "Om"side)
Your coin seems to have a bit damaged "Ma" behind the bust, and a different calligraphy of "Om"at the altar shaft. I did see your type before though, it was published as Mitchiner NIS 433.

Finn235

Thanks for the info!

I wonder if anyone has a scan of Mitchiner's plate coins? I've seen a bunch of Mitchiner numbers thrown around for the various types, but haven't been able to paint a clear picture.

From my own collection, I have surmised the following types:

1. Ornate "om" - Decent silver; always has the upside down triangle with chandrabindu symbol
2. Simple "om" - low quality silver, has downward crescent symbol, perhaps a simple dot in addition
3. Sri Omkara types:
- Upside down triangle with chandrabindu - also has the most careful calligraphy and is probably earliest
- Circle
- Flower with three petals
- "Staff" with two dots in middle
- "Cross" or 4-pointed star
- 6- or 8-pointed star
4. Copper types - I only have three in very poor condition, but I think they are all simplified Om types, but have Sri Omkara type symbols - one upside down triangle, one cross, one indistinct.