login

Author Topic: One of the severe cases  (Read 136 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Meritorious Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
One of the severe cases
« on: August 27, 2017, 02:39:30 AM »
I'm busy cleaning some coins. I'm putting the coins in the soda solution in glass or plastic bottles and put them on the highest window sill, where they can get quite warm in the afternoon. I'm changing the liquid when it gets blue, usually applying a light scrub.

This follis of the emperor Phokas was even dark when I bought it three years ago, but last year it flamed out blue-green. It was in the solution for over a year, and although it's still covered in green bumps, I feel it might be stable now: nothing has changed in a long time. Can I take it out and preserve it in isolation safely? How do you keep your formerly afflicted coins?

-- Paul

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
Re: One of the severe cases
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 03:53:54 AM »
Give this a brushing under running water, then put back into a soda soak. There is hope yet. Under extreme cases, use a sewing needle and magnifier to pick away some of the really bad areas, to open the deep areas to the solution. Heating the coin in the soda solution to the boiling point, then allow it to cool and soak also helps. Boiling forces air, trapped in small spaces, to expand and as the solution cools it will be drawn into the crevices.

Bruce

Offline Pellinore

• Meritorious Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Re: One of the severe cases
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 01:08:38 PM »
Thanks for giving me new courage. I'll keep you all posted.
-- Paul