Advertising stickers

Started by malj1, August 24, 2017, 06:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

Found another stickered coin, this one from Spain (Tenerife) Cafe del Pincipe stuck on a 25 Peseta's coin

Henk

And also one from Germany. This one from a disco, ZAK, in the village of Uelsen, close to Bentheim near the Dutch border. It is stuck on a 5 Mark coin.

brandm24

I came across a few more interesting sticker coins. This one is Dutch but I can't tell what kind of coin it's on or what it's advertising. I know you guys can fill me in. :)

Bruce
Always Faithful

Henk

The host coin is a 5 cent piece KM202. The value has been upgraded to 25 cent by applying the sticker. I have not seen this one before. Interesting find!

brandm24

Thanks, Henk. Do you know what the coin is advertising?

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Here's another sticker from the same group. This is US and advertises a restaurant named Barrels in Lodi, New Jersey. Couldn't find any specific information about it, but it may have been a pizzeria operated by the DePalma family. Apparently, it's been closed for years.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

Quote from: brandm24 on December 27, 2020, 11:57:05 AM
Thanks, Henk. Do you know what the coin is advertising?

That is indeed a problem. I don't know the €UGRO brand. Not difficult as I have been out of the country for years now. I suspect that it's a wholesaler that has since disappeared, as I got no usable hits.

I got sidetracked by the DA logo. That used to be a leading brand, but the logo is incorrect, as the letters are placed slightly diagonally and on a purple background. Otherwise, they are a possible candidate.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Henk

The €UGRO sticker is puzzling:
The host coins were issued from 1982 to 2001.
The "da" logo is of a chain of druggists in the Netherlands. It is not the logo used now, but it looks familiar to me so perhaps an older version.
25 jaar means 25 years
Groot (means large) probably is a name
€UGRO maybe should be read as EUGRO. I do not know what this means. It certainly is not the  name of a city or village in the Netherlands and also not likely to be the name of a person.
Waarde 25 cent means value 25 cents
The token probably was issued to celebrate the 25 years existence of a particular branch of da shop. Groot probably the name of the proprietor. The token had a value of  25 cents for purchases at the shop. The likely year of issue is just before the introduction of the Euro in 2002. Probably 2000 – 2001. In which city it was used I do not know.

brandm24

Good information, guys. Thanks very much.

Bruce
Always Faithful

jezuss

the logo is from the dutch drugstore DA.

Figleaf

Thank you, jezuss. That is a step forward. DA was established in 1942, so 25 years later is 1967. At that time the host coin wasn't issued yet and the euro sign wasn't known yet. The formal name of the chain changed in 1947, but 1972 is still too early for the host and the € sign. Logically, the jubilee could therefore only be of a DA franchise holder, as DA itself ran a limited number of shops only and the rest were quite a diverse lot of franchise holders. Still no hits on €UGRO.

The time frame can be narrowed to 1997 (€ sign adopted in December 1996) or 1998 (euro introduced in January 1999), so the franchise holder started out in the period 1972-1973.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

DA is a company that sells things for women and babies. In the last few decades, the company has increasingly become less relevant. It now is a niche brand. I am surprised that they still exist. In 1990, they had 1,000 shops so I fear it is going to be near impossible to find out which one this was. I have looked in Companies House, newspaper archives and on old versions of the DA website but didn't find anything.

brandm24

The last two stickers from the lot are numismatic pieces. MD / TAMS is the Maryland branch of the Token And Medal Society. This is a store card advertising the organization and may have been given out at coin shows.

The SCNA is a show card for the South Carolina Numismatic Association. Since the stickers are on a Sacagawea Dollar they were likely issued to members only as a souvenir of the show. Both cards are pristine so would have been saved and carefully stored away.

Bruce

Always Faithful