News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Advertising stickers

Started by malj1, August 24, 2017, 06:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

Advertising sticker on twopence coin, first I have seen although it has been mentioned to me previously.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Figleaf

Stickers were in vogue in the Netherlands when the last silver coins were withdrawn. They quickly became controversial. There was an attempt to start a second wave when euro coins were introduced, but it didn't catch on.

I wasn't aware this was done in the UK also. I have seen stickers from the US and Denmark only.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

MORGENSTERNN

Hello,
Same was done in France in the 1986-87 with 10 Francs coins but it was quickly forbidden
One is for sale here http://www.ebay.fr/itm/FRANCE-10-FRANCS-ADVERTISEMENT-ON-REVERSE-RARE-ITEM-monnaie-publicitaire-RRR-/202047965828?

malj1

it will be interesting to see if it sells at that high price,    ::)
Malcolm

Henk

I have several stickered 20 Franc coins from Belgium, I show two of these. I also add two from the Netherlands, pasted on 2 1/2 Gulden coins. As Figleaf stated these are common, I think that at one time about 5% of all rijksdaalders in circulation had stickers on them. This was started when the new, reduced size rijksdaalders were issued. These were only 4 mm larger than the Gulden coins, and 4 mm smaller than the earlier, silver ones. These new coins were not popular at first because they could easily be confused with the Gulden. At first these were sometimes marked with a felt pen and later stickers appeared. Some with the text "let op dit is f 2,50!" (Watch it, this is 2 Guilders 50). After that many were stickered with purpose made advertising stickers.

This was not really new as a hundred years earlier pennys in Britain were also stickered. This was done after counterstamping with advertising messages was forbidden and all foreign coins (mainly french 10 c) circulating as penny's were taken out of circulation. For those interested I can recommend the interesting book of Gavin Scott. I add a photo of the cover and also of the stickered coin that is described.

MORGENSTERNN

I will add here the picture of another French 10 Francs with advertising sticker

Figleaf

That's the second one marked POP 13. I assumed it's the brand name of the printer, but nothing comes up when I google it ...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

MORGENSTERNN

Quote from: Figleaf on September 06, 2017, 09:57:10 AM
That's the second one marked POP 13. I assumed it's the brand name of the printer, but nothing comes up when I google it ...

Peter

Printing was made by two students located in Toulouse
Meaning of "POP" is "Pile Ou Pub" that is to say "obverse or advertisement" or something like that and it sounds close to the "pile ou face ?" game (" heads or tails ?" in English)
No idea about the number but it varies so maybe a serial number
Here a link with more details and pictures (but in French) http://www.club-numismate-bondy.fr/pages/les-timbres-monnaie/les-monnaies-publicitaires.html
The use of those stickers reach Spain according to first site and "illegal copies" (without copyright) were also made according to that other site (also in French) that list many examples (click on the maps)
http://www.numismatique-31-81.com/En_marge/Pileoupub/index_garde_Pileoupub.php

Henk

As mentioned by Figleaf stickers on Euro coins are seldom encountered. I have one such stickered 2€ coin. It is from a jewelers shop "ZIZO" located is the shopping center MAKADO in the city of Schagen (The Netherlands). The coin is a French 2€ piece.

Henk

This stickerd coin from The Netherlands is a bit unusual. The sticker is on a 5 cent coin while nearly always 2 1/2 and sometimes 1 Gulden coins are used. Further the use of the stickered coin is interesting as it stated 5 = 10. These were given by a baker (A.Putter) of bakery "De Oude Oven" (The old oven) located in Uitgeest (the Netherlands) and some other locations with each amount of f 2,50 purchased. These could then later be used as 10 cents. These were in use from 1984 until 2002 when the Euro was introduced. As the 5 cent pieces became unvalid they were collected for exchange. The total weight of these coins assembled was 800 kg which amounts to some 230.000 pieces!  As many would not have been handed in the amount issued must have been even much larger.  Nevertheless it is not common.

malj1

An interesting sticker of the bakery "De Oude Oven" (The old oven) ...perhaps  in England it would have been named "Ye Olde Oven"   :)

I have been keen to find this stickered "Keogh" coin, mentioned by Gavin Scott, for many years without success.
Malcolm

malj1

Quote from: MORGENSTERNN on September 06, 2017, 10:49:57 AM
Printing was made by two students located in Toulouse
Meaning of "POP" is "Pile Ou Pub" that is to say "obverse or advertisement" or something like that and it sounds close to the "pile ou face ?" game (" heads or tails ?" in English)
No idea about the number but it varies so maybe a serial number
Here a link with more details and pictures (but in French) http://www.club-numismate-bondy.fr/pages/les-timbres-monnaie/les-monnaies-publicitaires.html
The use of those stickers reach Spain according to first site and "illegal copies" (without copyright) were also made according to that other site (also in French) that list many examples (click on the maps)
http://www.numismatique-31-81.com/En_marge/Pileoupub/index_garde_Pileoupub.php

I missed this reply with these interesting links while I was away from home recently. Very useful.

Malcolm

mrbadexample

I've seen a few of these on UK £1 coins, but never considered their potential collectibility. I saw them more as an irritation. I think they were used to advertise nightclubs and suchlike.

redwine

I have seen a few on Euro cents but I can't remember what I did with them  ::)
Here are two hosted by 10 F 'Genie de la Bastille' pieces 1988-2001
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

gerard974

hello
the two 10 french coins are for the same department "VAR" maybee is more coins in this department than other ?
best regards  Gerard