Author Topic: Café de l'hotel de Ville token  (Read 104 times)

Offline Henk

Café de l'hotel de Ville token
« on: July 02, 2020, 08:45:18 PM »
I have the following token:

Round, 21 mm Bronze
Obv: pictures a building on which is the text: CAFÉ DE | L'HOTEL DE VILLE
Rev: 20 within a wreath of vine, below three towers

The token is very detailed. Looking at the size of the persons pn the steps of the building, it must be huge. No makers or engravers mark is present

My question is where is it from? Switzerland is an option because the reverse is similar to the regular 20 Centimes coins. It could of course also be Belgium or France. It could also be from another country as names in French were often used outside of French speaking areas.

Your help is welcome!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Café de l'hotel de Ville token
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 07:11:36 AM »
Beautiful detail. I wonder what the small objects on the sidewalk are, though. They are too small to be humans and too big for dog turds.

I was hoping the three towers would figure on the coat of arms of the town the cafe is or was in. Unfortunately, the only candidate with a coat of arms with three towers I could find turned out to be Alquines. That turned out to be too small (pop: 1000). Their city hall is much smaller than the cafe on the token. Still, I can't imagine the three towers not being a heraldic device. The Saintignon family is a possibility.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 07:15:14 AM »
The denomination side is somewhat reminiscent of Swiss coins (5-20 centimes).

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 01:09:45 PM »
I had a look around but was so far not able to find another one. I also asked a French friend of mine who works for a numismatic auction house in Switzerland. He immediately said that he had seen the piece before and that it is a Swiss token. Unfortunately he could not immediately locate the further information about it that he only recently had used (one of these came in to the auction house). Anyway, this narrows down the search significantly.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 02:43:29 PM »
Beautiful detail. I wonder what the small objects on the sidewalk are, though. They are too small to be humans and too big for dog turds.

Indeed an exceptionally nice token. I think the small things may be pigeons or other birds.

Offline Henk

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 04:10:04 PM »
It is most certainly people that are depicted. This can be clearly seen with 10x magnification. Will try to make a photo of the deails.

Offline Henk

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 08:30:05 PM »
I followed up on the information provided by Eurocoin that this is a Swiss token. I contacted the owner of a site of Swiss tokens (this is an excellent and extensive site althoug the present token is not listed): https://www.house-of-collections.ch/

He confirmed that the token is indeed Swiss and that it is from the town of Fribourg. The address of the hotel is Grand-Rue 6. I used google street view to have a look at the building and indeed it looks quite like the one depicted on the token. One obvious difference, the building is much smaller than the size of the people on the token suggests!

Thanks all for your help.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 09:57:03 AM by Henk »