Author Topic: A fake of beauty is a joy forever  (Read 366 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
A fake of beauty is a joy forever
« on: August 08, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »
I suspected this was a fake as soon as it rolled out of the enveloppe it came in. I cleaned away a layer of dirt and some green, ending up with a coin that was clearly different in too many details. including the spacing and alignment of the date figures, the out-of-place star, the forgotten V below, the overly curly 2 and the pointy upper left corner of the coat of arms.

It wasn't until I made an enlargement that I realised the beauty of the fake. It is cast in a hand-drawn mould! It wasn't copied mechanically from a genuine coin. The fraudster took the time and energy to create a copy patiently by hand. The upper line of the shield is almost like a heart monitor, showing heartbeat, dampened by muscle control.

I still need to find a genuine coin, but this fake is already one of my favourites.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
Re: A fake of beauty is a joy forever
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 04:21:04 PM »
The curly "2" remembers me to the tourist fakes of colonial coins of Sri Lanka. I would say it is the same style.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: A fake of beauty is a joy forever
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 06:16:43 PM »
The clash between clumsyness and refinement has produced an appealing counterfeit i think.