Author Topic: Another enigmatic countermark a crowned T1 & J  (Read 528 times)

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Another enigmatic countermark a crowned T1 & J
« on: August 06, 2017, 01:15:07 AM »
Another funny coin with a crowned T1 & J. I presume it is a T, but could also be a Persian 'He', but as the additional countermark is a clear J, I presume the other also be a Latin letter. The identical c/m's have been applied on obv as well as on the rev.
Does anyone has any info about those countermarks?

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Another enigmatic countermark a crowned T1 & J
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »
Modern again, in spite of the Gothic T. The crown is clearly inspired by the crown on the Dutch 10 and 25 cent pieces 1948-1980. The crowned J may well be Juliana. The crowned Gothic T is hard to explain. However, an uncrowned gothic T was/is used by De Telegraaf, a royalist newspaper.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 11:48:34 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 11:32:58 PM »
A good suggestion regarding 'De Telegraaf' It is exactly the same letter T.
We are still in the dark about the reasons for such c/m's.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 11:47:51 PM »
Since they are punched on both sides, they were not for use in a machine. The punches were so that the piece would be recognised by a human, no matter which side was up. The crowns suggest an event. I could imagine e.g. a free newspaper or commemorative magazine against the token on the queen's birthday, where the token would make sure demand would be equal to supply in spite of price.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.