Author Topic: 1881 Morgan dollar  (Read 340 times)

Offline Levantiner

1881 Morgan dollar
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:49:39 PM »
Its nothing special I was just trying a new lens and I really liked the resulting picture

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
Re: 1881 Morgan dollar
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »
I love the photo! What kind of lighting did you use?

Offline Levantiner

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 03:47:49 PM »
A longish story: Recently, out of curiosity, I purchased A Minolta CE- Rokkor 30mm F 2.8 lens.   It is a sub-miniature enlarger  lens  designed fo enlarging 16mm film ( MFT is todays digital equivalent). I have a FF camera and I wanted to see how the lens performed when reversed. Theory said  it should give up to 26X magnification. I found with my equipment I was getting Leica photar  performance from it between 2.6X and 8 X magnification. Beyond 8 times it wasn't performing well.   For lighting with the lens I had some issues and I did some playing around and purchased a cheap 40 LED microscope ring light.   That ring light had a 28mm thread for mounting to a microscope so  using  an M28- m42 stepping ring  combined with a M42- M39 adapter I was able to fit the ring light to the 30mm lens( it made the lens look somewhat like a miniature medical nikkor macro lens)   I was so impressed with the 30mm I went for the 80mm Ce Rokkor( which like the 30mm is an Achromat).   I found the ring light I had "constructed" for the 30mm performed even better on the reversed 80mm lens( the photo was taken as a test of the lens and adapted ring light combination). The leds end up being placed very close to the rear element of the lens( front element when reversed). As a result the illumination cast by this set up is almost Co-axial.  Normal ring lights position the Light source further away from vertical.   So in effect what I have managed to do is assemble a Pseudo-axial lighting rig... with out using a beam-splitter ( which I find suffers from ghosting and distortion)  I subsequently found a CE 50mm lens... and found this particular ring light does not physically fit the reversed 50mm  despite having the m39 (Leica thread) mount. Embarrassingly the CE rokkor 80mm ( cost Euro 60.00) produces higher resolution shots than my Sony 90/F2.8 macro lens( a Euro 1100 lens)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 04:01:27 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply. I am afraid my knowledge of photography is too poor to grasp much of the details. Nevertheless, I am very impressed with the result. The lighting is very uniform and brings out all the details on the coin magnificently.

Offline Levantiner

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 04:33:39 PM »
......................... The lighting is very uniform and brings out all the details on the coin magnificently.

Thats the Quailty of lighting you get from Coaxial lighting. If you want I can post photographs of what I did  is the photography thread.... What I did was cheap and is easily repeatable

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 04:47:13 PM »
Thats the Quailty of lighting you get from Coaxial lighting. If you want I can post photographs of what I did  is the photography thread.... What I did was cheap and is easily repeatable
Thanks. That would be quite useful.

Online gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 07:54:17 PM »
hello
 very nice photo but on my island we have only these lentilles and i dont arrive to take one photo

url=https://servimg.com/view/14892087/1276][/url]

i think that you have undertstand that is a joke
best regards  Gerard

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 08:31:44 PM »
Lenses (UK) = lentilles (Fr), except that in French, it is also lentils, stuff that's very nice to eat e.g. with fish. However, you will remember them the next day...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »
One of our club members brought in a morgan 1921 that was fashioned into a ring. It seemed a shame, but the ring was indeed very sturdy. couldn't quite figure out though when it was converted into a ring. Lots of original lustre still present

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 07:47:59 PM »
If you are lucky you may catch these with a blue toning at affordable level from old collections:

regards