Zands, Karim Khan, AH1181, Abbasi, Yazd mint KM 552

Started by maudry, July 25, 2017, 11:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maudry

A similar coins to the one I posted earlier.
I like this one even more.
Size: 20mm
Weight: 4.60gr

aws22

Dear Marc, your coin is:
Zands, Karim Khan, 1181 AH, Abbasi, Dar al-'Ibadat Yazd mint (1172-1193 AH)

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

saro

"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

maudry

Quote from: saro on July 26, 2017, 08:27:52 AM
Super coin ! :perfect:
Details on this thread
Thank you to both of you.
I was also considering the possibility that both coins were struck form identical dies. But finally I don't think so.

The cartouche on this coin is quite different from the other one (http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,39730.0/topicseen.html) I posted.
Are they of the same type though?

aws22

Dear Marc, the information is the same but the calligraphy is different. The calligraphy of the word al-'Ibadat is different in the two coins, it is the same word but written in two different ways. It looks nicer on the 1181 AH coin where the letter " Lam ل " encircles the word " Dar دار " and the letter "Alef ا " encircles the word " Yazd یزد " and then joins the letters " D,t دة ".

Maythem

maudry

Hi Maythem,
Thank you for the clarification. The engraver certainly did a great job when he changed the calligraphy this way.
I was just wondering if this change of style did have an impact on the catalogue references or not.
I did also compare your coin closely with mine because I was considering the possibility that they had been struck from the same dies.

Marc

aws22

Thank you Marc, certainly the reverse is from a different die. Islamic calligraphy has so many variations.

Maythem