Author Topic: Cleaning this coin  (Read 205 times)

Offline Hitesh

Cleaning this coin
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:23:10 PM »
Hi,

I am trying to clean this Tughlaq tanka that I have. It has a black patina over it.
I have already soaked this in olive oil for about 3 weeks, but so far no results.
Anything else that I can do?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:57:27 PM by Hitesh »
Download free Indian Auction Catalogs and Books

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Cleaning this coins
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 11:02:04 PM »
Low grade silver, I suppose? Try wrapping it in aluminium foil and cooking it in water with a touch of vinegar.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Cleaning this coins
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 11:15:57 PM »
 look at this thread of mine to see how I cleaned a similar Tughluq brass forced Tanka
Vic

Offline Hitesh

Re: Cleaning this coin
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 07:02:22 PM »
Thanks everyone! Will do this tomorrow and let you know the results.

Offline Hitesh

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 07:59:36 PM »
Hi capnbirdseye,

I followed the instructions as per your method but the results are not even close to what you were able to achieve with your restoration.
There is very little effect.

I did the whole process thrice. Even pouring the caustic soda powder as a lump on the coin and then leaving it in water followed by brushing.
Anything further that I can do? Else can more attribution details be figured out in the image I uploaded originally?

Thanks!

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 08:46:32 PM »
Hi capnbirdseye,

I followed the instructions as per your method but the results are not even close to what you were able to achieve with your restoration.
There is very little effect.

I did the whole process thrice. Even pouring the caustic soda powder as a lump on the coin and then leaving it in water followed by brushing.
Anything further that I can do? Else can more attribution details be figured out in the image I uploaded originally?

Thanks!

Not sure what went wrong,  some drain cleaners have the  words 'with caustic soda' but  contain other compounds to presumably make it less dangerous to use,  did the water get boiling hot? if not then put the coin in very hot water & very carefully tip some of the soda in and stand back as it will erupt! if it doesn't then you have something that is not proper Caustic soda

This method rarely fails for me  ???,  there is another example of one of my cleaned coins here,

there is also a link on that page to the British museum showing this method of cleaning coins (Sodium Hydroxide is Caustic soda)
Vic

Offline Hitesh

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 07:54:21 PM »
I repeated the process with Caustic soda. But there is hardly any discernable change from the interested original.

I think it might be due to 'kind' of corrosion on this coin because some of my copper bull-jitals have been treated very successfully using the same process.

This forced tanka has a black colored corrosion on it whereas the bull-jitals had a green one. Don't really know the difference between the two.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 08:32:32 PM »
There are some kinds of hard deposits that nothing seems to shift but glad you got it to work on your Bull jitals
Vic