News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Ancient coin found during excavation in OMAN

Started by Matteo, July 25, 2017, 08:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matteo

Hi :)

An Italian friend need your help to identify this coin found in Oman. Can you help him?

8-9mm

Matteo

Thanks,

Matteo.

Figleaf

Looks to me like a local imitation of a Roman coin showing the emperor with helmet on one side and a standing figure on the other side.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Finn235

Maybe Seleucid? It looks a good bit thicker than your average Roman-era barb, and the radiate crown has more spikes than normal. Reverse looks like a Caduceus, but can't tell anything else.

Matteo

Dear Figleaf and Finn235,

thanks for your answers.

My friend has found new informations: it is probably that it is a coin of the Hadramawt Kingdom, in modern times Yemen.
In this coin there is a head to right on the obverse and a caduceus on the reverse. There are two theories about its dating:
1. the little monogram on the reverse could be referred to the King Hadramita (II century B.C.) [I can't see it in this coin];
2. it could be an imitation of the coins minted by the king Aminta of Galatia (I century B.C.).