Author Topic: Coin shops in Japan  (Read 717 times)

Offline KennyisaG

• Facebook
Coin shops in Japan
« on: July 24, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »
Hi everyone, does anyone know about any coin shops in Japan that have an English-speaking person within the store? I'm looking to sell large bags of old yen coins (reeded 10 yen, old style 5 yen) and mostly coins from pre-1970 that value above FV on JNDA. Also have very large amounts of pre-war mainland notes.

I'll be travelling all of Chugoku, Kansai, and Kyushu regions, visiting most big cities (Kyoto-shi, Hiroshima-shi, Osaka, among others), as well as small cities in Shimane and Tottori. I will also be visiting Tokyo and Yokohama for 1-2 days.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations of what I shouldn't bring to sell or things I should buy. :)
Numista Team Member: SmartOneKg

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Coin shops in Japan
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 05:07:54 PM »
Most places that sell coins are in large dept stores in the big cities. They may not buy coins from retail clients. Anyway, they mostly sell newly issued commemoratives. I visited one coin shop in Kyoto. The owner didn't speak any language. He just grunted his disapproval of me and when I didn't start speaking Japanese, he turned me out of his store, refusing to sell me anything.

Your best bet is probably a coin event, but you'd have to know someone in Japan who can find them and negotiate for you. Dealer's margin in Europe and the US is about 100%, so expect to be offered 50% of JNDA. Margins may be higher in Japan.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline KennyisaG

• Facebook
Re: Coin shops in Japan
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 06:37:45 PM »
The owner didn't speak any language. He just grunted his disapproval of me and when I didn't start speaking Japanese, he turned me out of his store, refusing to sell me anything.

That sounds like any coin shop in any country. ;) It's good to hear an offer of 50% of JNDA, but for very common stuff it seems unlikely to go as high.

I've been holding onto the "giza" 10 and 5 yen, commemorative 100 yen, prewar coins, and uncirculated common coins since they hold a better book price. But much of it seems like an inconvenience.

I'll do some research on shops in Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo, since you mention they are mostly in depachiko.
Numista Team Member: SmartOneKg