Unidentified "AL" token, value 6

Started by Henk, July 19, 2017, 04:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

I have the following puzzling token.

Brass, 25,5 mm, small hole at top
O: AL (script) in laurel wreath, 6 below
R: Blank

The A is obvious but the other letter is not clear to me, could be an L. I was unable to find it listed so any clues or hopefully id will be welcome!

Figleaf

I think the logo is AS (see overlay below). My impression is that it is a garderobe ticket: one is with your coat, you keep the other. AS might be something like Amsterdamsche Schouwburg, though the style looks much later than 1772, when that building burnt down. In view of the writing style, I'd say this piece rather dates from around 1930.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

constanius

Looks like the A and L in these curly scripts, though it could be the long S which s no longer used.

Pat

Henk

I also considered AS or SA but all such monograms illustrated in Otto Flamig: Monogramme auf Munzen, Medaillen, Marken, Zeichen und Urkunden (1968) show a broad S. I think that the small, long S is not used as an initial what one would expect in a monogram.

It is unlikely this is a garderobe ticket as these would have a range of numbers. These would be stamped in the disk and are not part of the design as in this token. Also garderobe tickets usually are larger and have much larger holes.

I think the token dates from the 1870's or earlier. It does not look like an 1930 token to me. It is likely to be from Germany or France. It was obtained in Germany with other, mainly German tokens. Which is of course not conclusive for its origin!

Henk

Just found the same token on the mystery token list of malj1: https://sites.google.com/site/malstokens/mystery-items This token is not holed but the place it should be holed is nicely indicated by a small circle! Also the letters ared described as AS, I think it should be AL. This does not solve the puzzle but my token is no longer alone! Malcolm does not give any information about this but perhaps he can let us know where the token was obtained.

malj1

No other information has come to hand,it came from an Australian auction house of a sale of  a british collection.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

malj1

I'm no further forward but here is the image again in a larger size where it can be seen that its AS with an unattached squiggle at right which it seems is there only to balance the image? ???
Malcolm

malj1

Quote from: malj1 on March 28, 2020, 11:16:55 AM
I'm no further forward but here is the image again in a larger size where it can be seen that its AS with an unattached squiggle at right which it seems is there only to balance the image? ???

It is very similar to this machine token P in wreath Good only for free play etc. Hayes 295.1 in silvered brass 30mm (I'm still seeking the brass one 295.4)
Malcolm

Figleaf

The brass one may be just so worn that none of the layer of white metal remains.

"Deducting" the A from the monogramme on the above tokens, I can see an L only by assuming that the L and the A have a common part, to connect it to the loose swirl at the extreme right. Not that it matters, because AL is just as mysterious as AI or AS.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

except that the loose swirl is upside in relation to that used on an L ???
Malcolm