Author Topic: The Netherlands: New mintmaster mark 2018  (Read 2334 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: The Netherlands: New mintmaster mark 2018
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 10:21:26 PM »
It seems that the Luxembourg coins have a lion instead of the bridge this year

Yep, see here:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,41096.msg260256.html#msg260256

Christian

Offline Angus

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 10:45:53 PM »
They've probably had enough with all that faffing around with Dutch mintmasters!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 11:54:58 AM »
Mintmasters come and go, minters and their equipment stay on. I think the real difference is that the mint is privatised. It is not unusual for tenders to specify that only state-owned mints need apply. However, it is difficult to see the connection between that and the added lion. If I'd have to guess, I'd look at the insecurity of the ruling family of one of the smallest European states, as illuminated before by their unwillingness to have coins - even joint commemoratives - without a portrait or cypher of the grand duke.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 06:22:52 PM »
Hopefully after he will resign as alderman next week, he will finally start to be a serious mintmaster because I consider his performance as mintmaster so far to be miserable.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2018, 02:48:56 PM »
It appears that 'mintmaster' has become a sort of honorary title. Even although he is Chair of the Board of Directors, Mr Satijn doesn't appear to do much at the mint. In the meantime he has now started new jobs in high positions at 2 trade and development organisations. He appears to have a passion for trade and seems to have little interest for coins.

In fact the Coinage Act appears to indicate that Mr Satijn makes illegitimate use of the title as it may only be used by the general director of the Royal Dutch Mint, which Mr Satijn is not. Vincent van Hecke, a Belgian, is general director of the Royal Dutch Mint and so the only person who is allowed to make use of the title. I guess they expected that fact not to do well amongst Dutch collectors and because of that gave the title to a Dutchman instead. When contacted about this quite some time ago they got very annoyed at the mint.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:52:54 PM by eurocoin »