Author Topic: Artuqid of Mardin AR dirham, Najm al-Dim Ghazi I, Mardin  (Read 130 times)

Offline maudry

Artuqid of Mardin AR dirham, Najm al-Dim Ghazi I, Mardin
« on: July 15, 2017, 03:18:52 PM »
Looks similar to this one: https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=124570
Size: 21mm
Weight: 2.69gr
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:17:14 PM by maudry »

Online Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: Khwarizmshah dirham?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:15:45 PM »
No, Artukids of Mardin, Nejm al Din Ghazi, 1239-1260, struck at Mardin c.1248-1258. See https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=162494

The Khwarezm ones are much cruder, and the very similar Ayyubid coins have more flowing script.

Alan

Offline maudry

Re: Artuqid of Mardin AR dirham, Najm al-Dim Ghazi I, Mardin
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 10:18:35 PM »
Thank you Alan.
I have still a lot to learn  :)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 02:54:55 PM »
We all have. I commend you for making an attempt to id the coin yourself before asking the question. Even if you are wrong, you get experience in where to look, what to look for and how to look. You gain exposure to pictures that give you those "gut feelings" that will be increasingly reliable and eventually, the confidence to help others.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline maudry

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 09:51:21 PM »
We all have. I commend you for making an attempt to id the coin yourself before asking the question. Even if you are wrong, you get experience in where to look, what to look for and how to look. You gain exposure to pictures that give you those "gut feelings" that will be increasingly reliable and eventually, the confidence to help others.

Peter
Hi Peter,
That's what I try generally to do - with more or less success - except when I don't have the beginning of a clue.
For this one for instance I was wrong  :)