login

Author Topic: Safavid Mahmudis of Sulieman I, Huwaiza mint X3  (Read 171 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Safavid Mahmudis of Sulieman I, Huwaiza mint X3
« on: July 15, 2017, 12:53:49 PM »
Here are two Mahmudis, the first one is ticketed as Sulieman I  Huwaiza mint.   3.15g   date appears to be 1087? (1676)

The second one is from my unidentified tray but is of the same type etc but the date appears to be earlier  at 1051 (1641) so  Abass II presumably,
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:43:09 PM by capnbirdseye »
Vic

Offline aws22

• Meritorious Member
Re: Safavid Mahmudis X2
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 06:03:25 PM »
Dear Vic, please note that in 1078-1121 AH (1667-1709AD) Safi II was re-crowned as Shah Sulayman and a new coinage appeared.
i) Your first coin is dated “1087 ۱۰۸۷ “; the letter “B ب “ is enclosing the date ۱۰۸۷.
ii) Your second coin also for Sulayman period shows the decorative inverted V’s (۱۰۷۷) suggesting the year “1088 ۱۰۸۸” enclosed by letter “B ب “.
On both coins:
Obverse: A central circle containing the mint name, with the letter “B ب “ enclosing the date. The marginal legend “ Banda-i Shah-i Wilayat Sulayman”
Reverse: A central circle containing the Shiite portion of the Shahada, with Nabi Allah in the marginal Shahada.
Please refer to my post dated June 8, 2017 http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,39306.msg248419.html#msg248419

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:45:31 PM »
Thank you Maythem ,presumably both are Huwaiza mint ?

for the second coin I'm struggling to read the date as 1088, I thought I could see a persian 5 but I guess the engraving is distorted
Vic

Offline aws22

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 09:23:47 PM »
Thank you Vic, both coins are Huwayza mint, please refer to this book on the NET:
Society and Culture in the Early Modern Middle East.
Studies on Iran in the Safavid Period.
Edited by Andrew J Newman.
Publisher: Brill Leiden-Boston 2003.
Please see page 288 and you will see photos of similar coins that you can compare with your two coins.

Maythem

Offline aws22

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 10:04:58 AM »
Dear Vic, are thinking of the date 1085?
It could be that digit " 5 ۵ " is outside to the right of the letter “ B ب “.

Maythem

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 12:12:53 PM »
Dear Vic, are thinking of the date 1085?
It could be that digit " 5 ۵ " is outside to the right of the letter “ B ب “.

Maythem

Hello Maythem,
Originally I thought I could see a persian 5 where I marked it but I think the whole date appears to be blundered and not clear at all on this one
Vic

Offline aws22

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 01:47:28 PM »
Dear Vic, from reading the marginal legend of the second coin, my conclusion is that it is Shah Sulayman I coin, 2 Shahi, Huwayza mint issued on 108X AH (most probably 1081).
Obverse: A central circle containing the mint name, with the “B  ب “ enclosing the date. The marginal legend runs
"بنده شاه ولایت سلیمان, ضر  “, Bandeh-i  Shah-i Wilayat Sulayman, part of zarb “ zar ضر ”. Only visible is “ مان ضر بند “.
Reverse :  A  central  circle  containing the  Shiite portion  of  the  shahada “ ‘Ali Wali Allah ” with “Nabi Allah” in the marginal Shahada. The marginal legend not visible.
Please see overlay.

Maythem

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 02:55:44 PM »
Dear Vic, from reading the marginal legend of the second coin, my conclusion is that it is Shah Sulayman I coin, 2 Shahi, Huwayza mint issued on 108X AH (most probably 1081).
Obverse: A central circle containing the mint name, with the “B  ب “ enclosing the date. The marginal legend runs
"بنده شاه ولایت سلیمان, ضر  “, Bandeh-i  Shah-i Wilayat Sulayman, part of zarb “ zar ضر ”. Only visible is “ مان ضر بند “.
Reverse :  A  central  circle  containing the  Shiite portion  of  the  shahada “ ‘Ali Wali Allah ” with “Nabi Allah” in the marginal Shahada. The marginal legend not visible.
Please see overlay.

Maythem

Dear Maythem, I'm not disputing the identification at all, I agree it's Shah Sulayman, I just pointed out how I originally thought it was dated earlier
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »
I keep reading that date as 1066. I realise that wouldn't fit the reign dates, but that's what my eye spies. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 03:20:28 PM »
I keep reading that date as 1066. I realise that wouldn't fit the reign dates, but that's what my eye spies. ;)

Peter

Struck at the battle of Hastings  ;D
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »
Of course! The Normans were already having differences with assorted Arabic sheiks on Sicily, so it makes sense. Quick, be the first to offer photos to the Daily Mail! :D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 03:41:53 PM »
Of course! The Normans were already having differences with assorted Arabic sheiks on Sicily, so it makes sense. Quick, be the first to offer photos to the Daily Mail! :D
Peter

and the unique coin open to serious offers  :D

back on topic I discovered I have yet another, ticketed as Sulieman I, Huwaiza but this time it's with greatly improved engraving of the dies, I can't see a date however
Vic

Offline aws22

• Meritorious Member
Re: Safavid Mahmudis of Sulieman I, Huwaiza mint X3
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »
Dear Vic, for the new coins it clearly written at the bottom " Abbas  عباس ". Date is not visible.

Maythem

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 05:32:59 PM »
Dear Vic, for the new coins it clearly written at the bottom " Abbas  عباس ". Date is not visible.

Maythem

I knew I had a Mahmudi of Abbas somewhere!
Vic

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »
Concerning the 2nd coin, fortunately, only 10 digits exist in arabic !  :D ... 1088,1085, 1081, 1066 .....
As new player, I add my reading : 1061 AH and I think that this mahmudi belongs to Shah Abbas II, and not to Suleyman I.
Please, have a look to the circular legend of this one
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)