Linked Events

• Ahmedabad Coins and Currency Fair: August 11, 2017 - August 13, 2017

Author Topic: Ahmedabad Coins and Currency Fair - 11 to 13 August 2017  (Read 337 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Ahmedabad Coins and Currency Fair - 11 to 13 August 2017
« on: July 14, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »
The Ahmedabad Coins and Currency Fair is now a bi-annual event. Besides April, it will also held in August each year. This year the August show will be a 3 day event from 11 to 13 August.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
Re: Ahmedabad Coins and Currency Fair - 11 to 13 August 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 06:16:36 PM »
Thanks Amit
Any new or interesting presentations by you this time.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 07:01:08 AM »
Any new or interesting presentations by you this time.
No. I do not think there are any scheduled this time around.

But wait a few months more.......... interesting things comming up at the Gujarat Coin Society Annual Show in early 2018.

AMit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 04:08:01 AM »
Any one coming to Ahmedabad for the fair? I should be there tomorrow (Saturday) after 3 PM and most of Sunday.

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 09:01:02 AM »
A very lackluster event. The crowd was missing and even the road side vendors were nowhere to be seen.

Most of the sellers were dealers in BI and RI currency and coins. All auctioneers (Rajgor, Todywala, Oswal etc) had a stall as dis the office bearers of the Gujarat Coin society. CNG had a huge presence too. That left not much room for others but even there gaps were seen.

A local collector, Mr Naik (a doctor by profession) had exhibited a frame with funny money. Shartughan Saravgi had exhibited his collection of Portrait coins of Kutch & Mughal issues of Ahmedabad mint and Hemanth Jain had exhibited his collection of 1/2 Pagodas of Madras Presidency. Though there were just a few frame, it was interesting.

A new trend seems to be emerging - specially in these fairs held in the Hotel premises by private individuals. Small dealers book a room through the organiser at a high discount (almost all the rooms are booked by the organizer for the 3 days) and put up 3 to a room. This cuts their room rent and considering room costs in far away hotels + to & fro transport, time and the risk of ferrying coins across the city, it works to their advantage. These dealers do the business sitting in the rooms or in the lobby of the hotel or even in the stairways. Thus a lot of small dealers who would otherwise not come, come in. They also call their regular customers to the venue to cut deals. These people who come over to settle past accounts or take / give delivery, also move around the show and strike a few deals..........(which benefits the organiser as those dealers who have stalls do some unexpected business).

Amit
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:11:54 AM by asm »

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 11:00:17 AM »
The possible new trend you are describing would mean that the stall fees are too high in relation to turnover. That in turn would mean that prices within the fairs are too high. If the fees are not adjusted, they will kill the fair.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 01:51:26 PM »
The possible new trend you are describing would mean that the stall fees are too high in relation to turnover. That in turn would mean that prices within the fairs are too high. If the fees are not adjusted, they will kill the fair.
Spot on Peter. The hotel rentals are zooming and even general real estate prices are unjustifiably high.............Table space rented out a few years back at 2500 INR for 3 days now costs upwards of 10,000 INR. Of course, the halls are now air-conditioned and security tighter....... and may be a little improvement in facilities - packed lunch and a bottle of mineral water...

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 01:57:47 PM »
Funny Money

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 02:04:11 PM »
The Half Pagoda.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 02:13:59 PM »
....and finally some pictures of the fair..............

All images are from the organisers FB page.

Amit

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 03:20:48 PM »
Good to see different ages represented, all smiling.

I was wondering about the "funny money". As a crowd puller, it will do, but unusual money would have been nearer to the truth. This sort of exhibit is sure to arouse interest.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Ahmedabad Coins and Currency Fair - 11 to 13 August 2017
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 04:45:21 PM »
I too have observed that in last 2-3 years, there has been considerable decrease in business done in such coin shows. A major factor has been availability of other platforms like Facebook which allow mass reach for zero cost (since internet data is very cheap these days). And since such apps are now integrated by mobile wallets too (Paytm for example), the payment has become simpler too..I see lot of dealers/collectors selling their stuff this way on Facebook. I'm pretty sure that eventually, collectors will stop buying from eBay too.

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 03:13:25 AM »
It appears that the smaller dealers who operated out of the rooms did brisk business. I was talking to a few last night and learned that all of them had had a fantastic business ..... both in terms of buying and selling....... dealers from different areas coming to gather and selling & buying merchandise from the other's area which could be traded for a good profit..... like a dealer from Maharashtra  buying as well as selling with a dealer from Punjab or from Kolkatta.........

So in fact, it appears that the show was a success for most......... but there are those who are habituated to cry ......

Amit

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 07:07:02 PM »
Thanks Amit for the update.
I guess the new trend is win win for everyone. More often when I visit the exhibition, I visit few know stalls to make most of the purchase.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 07:09:30 PM »
I too have observed that in last 2-3 years, there has been considerable decrease in business done in such coin shows. A major factor has been availability of other platforms like Facebook which allow mass reach for zero cost (since internet data is very cheap these days). And since such apps are now integrated by mobile wallets too (Paytm for example), the payment has become simpler too..I see lot of dealers/collectors selling their stuff this way on Facebook. I'm pretty sure that eventually, collectors will stop buying from eBay too.

Aditya

I guess eBay is already dead in India for coins. After GST the listing has also gone down. Very few dealers listing items.

Almost 50% listing are fake coins.