News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

A coin of the Chudasama Dynasty,

Started by capnbirdseye, July 10, 2017, 09:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

This little coin was identified on Fb as being from the Chudasama Dynasty but there is little information for these. zeno does not even have a section to put it in either

Obv:  Sri   Rev: Sa

1.35g
Vic

THCoins

Interesting and rare find !
I saw one similar specimen offered by Marudhar Auction house. Recognition is not helped by the fact that they show the coins in a wrong orientation and call the "Sri" "Vi".

The shape of the Sri character, supports an origin in Gujurat or the south of Rajastan post 1100 AD. In more western regions this way of writing Sri was uncommon. Its use seems to spread north slowly over a century, possibly as a result of the expansion of the territory of the Chahamana Rajas of Ajmer and Delhi.
From Wikipedia i read that the Chudasama had their powerbase in Gujarat. In that respect it is interesting that their coinage seems to be predominantly copper. There was not much locally available copper in Gujarat. This is also reflected in the mostly silver coinage of the Western Satraps. Most copper for the Chudasama coinage will likely have come from the copper mining belt located more to the north, in Southern Rajastan.

capnbirdseye

A did get a few replies on zeno inc someone putting the same  link to the Marudhar coin but that's as far as it got unfortunately so it remains in the identification help section, someone added that they understood that it was a minor dynasty of the yadavas. Unlisted yet on 'Karnataka Coins' by K. Ganesh.
Vic

THCoins

How should it be listed in Ganesh' "Karnataka coins" ? I would expect that this is restricted to the much more Southern types ?

capnbirdseye

Quote from: THCoins on July 11, 2017, 03:16:02 PM
How should it be listed in Ganesh' "Karnataka coins" ? I would expect that this is restricted to the much more Southern types ?

That's what I thought and that answer was from a regular contributer, seems the coin was born only to cause confusion  ???
Vic