Author Topic: France 2018: Centenary of the end of the First World War  (Read 324 times)

Online eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
France 2018: Centenary of the end of the First World War
« on: July 09, 2017, 11:17:07 PM »
In 2018 France is going to issue a 2 euro commemorative coin to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War.

Online eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
Re: France 2018: Centenary of the end of the First World War
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 09:36:37 AM »
The coin will depict a cornflower.

Offline redlock

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 08:55:30 AM »
I have just read that this coin has been cancelled.
Allegedly, it will be replaced with a €2 coin honoring Simone Veil.

Does anyone know more about the cancellation?

Online eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 09:30:53 AM »
I have just read that this coin has been cancelled.
Allegedly, it will be replaced with a €2 coin honoring Simone Veil.

Does anyone know more about the cancellation?

No further information is currently known. I am looking into it and hope to be able to provide more information next week. Our great Spanish friend speculates about a veto athough I have myself heard speculations about copyright infringement.

Personally I very much dislike this. I would have loved to add the coin to my collection as one of my ancestors had an important role in the war and amongst other things received the highest French order and became honorary citizen of Paris.

Online eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 09:53:14 AM »
Below the design of the coin can be seen. It was going to be issued on February 5 of next year. The coloured coin was for collectors only. Design was made by Joaquin Jimenez, although my French acquiantance André Milhorat pointed out that it is only a very slightly altered version of the logo of the organisation Bleuet de France which was made by French design agency Ars Magna. He also pointed out the strange decision to put the lines of the French flag that can be seen in the background on top of the flower on the non-coloured coin.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 08:28:29 PM »
Don't think that the design on the left was the final one anyway. I am sure the Monnaie de Paris would have added the mintmark and mintmaster mark, just like on the proof piece.

As for your special friend ;) here is his story. I have no idea what government would object to that issue. Maybe France and Germany could issue a common €2 coin dedicated to the new Hartmannswillerkopf museum (in Alsace) that the French and German presidents Macron and Steinmeier just opened ...

Christian

Online eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 12:46:58 PM »
I have just been informed by the Council of the European Union that the issuance of the coin has not been vetoed by another country.

Online eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 05:40:33 PM »
Special shoutout to my fans on Munthunter Forum: Many thanks for copying the information from here, pasting it in a message that was posted earlier so that it now looks as if you had the information first (they don't have an edit line) without making any mention to me or any of the websites on which I posted the information, very much appreciated!

Offline redlock

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 08:48:13 PM »
I have just been informed by the Council of the European Union that the issuance of the coin has not been vetoed by another country.

Thanks for the update.

I find it pretty strange that France cancelled this coin. The end of WWI is still a ''big thing'' in France. This €2cc would have made ''perfect sense.''

Could there be a joint issue by all Euro member states in the works (as some folks speculate)?

Online eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 09:16:23 PM »
Could there be a joint issue by all Euro member states in the works (as some folks speculate)?

That is the most likely reason I have seen so far. If they are going to issue a joint one, there is no need for them to issue a national one. It would not make any sense for them to issue 2 2 euro commemoratives on the same theme.

I hope to receive further information from Monnaie de Paris and the French finance ministry soon.

Online eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 04:19:30 PM »
The variant of the design that France has submitted to the European institutions:
Notice the missing designers initials of Joaquin Jimenez and the slight differences.

Online eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 04:29:51 PM »
Monnaie de Paris informed me they refuse to comment on questions related to the issuance of this coin.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:51:38 PM by eurocoin »

Offline redlock

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 08:05:57 PM »
Monnaie de Paris informed me they refuse to comment on questions related to the issuance of this coin.

Strange. Very strange.
Wondering what's really going on there.