Author Topic: Help needed USA  (Read 150 times)

Offline Naveen

• My Blog
Help needed USA
« on: July 08, 2017, 02:44:45 AM »
Hi All,

I am new to this section, I am from India, due to my onsite assignment I am now in USA, mostly I will be here for sometime, so thought of putting my hands into USA coins and notes as well before I go back to India.

So I am basically looking for below things for which I need help and suggestions...

Coins:

As of now planning to collect all circulating coins.  If some have any list of this please share me.
I am basically a mint wise collector, so I am looking for something like that.

What all mints producing coins now, help me with some links which I can refer for identifying mint marks

What all theme base collection I can do like Presidential Dollars, state wise Quarter dollar etc,

Apart from that on investment side,  which circulating coin has got more demand in Asia region for example if I stock 1 dollar coins, how much it rate in Asia region. if I can sell that for 200 Indian rupee that's a lottery for me. thinking of early retirement, so need some investment as well in coins... LOL..

All help in USA welcome...

Please PM me...

In return I can help in Republic India coins. I do have a huge collection.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Help needed USA
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 09:46:54 AM »
I think your best bet would be to locate a copy of the "red book". This is a catalogue of all US coins. It provides all the information you want and more. Old copies cost practically nothing, but they have old pricing information. On very recent coins, that is not a problem. Everyone has them for sale, so it is easy to compare prices.

To find the book, use Google to see where you can find coin dealers around you. Even better, there may be a coin show. Be aware that small shows may double as gun shows and be a magnet for red-necks. However, in general it is better to pick up current coins at a coin show than at a dealer, while dealers will have more choice and less erratic pricing. Also, you can get better discounts at coin shows. Start with the rummage containers and work your way up to albums and trays.

Most US collectors collect by date. This is an opportunity for you, as you can search for cheap dates, which dealers find harder to move. Avoid slabbed and damaged coins but don't be afraid of filthy coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 03:14:25 AM »
There are no specific circulation coins that are sought after. Most dealers offer about the exchange rate for the coins including collections.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Finn235

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 12:18:41 AM »
Dependent on the time and cash you have on hand, you can "coin roll hunt" i.e. buy mass quantities of coin from banks and assemble a collection for face value. You stand a reasonable chance of assembling all 50 states and most of the national parks if you get quarters, and it is not difficult to get all 108 memorial cents if you opt for cents. Nickels also have a virtually guaranteed chance of giving at least a handful of 60+ year old coins per $100 box.

Some valuable coins can be found from circulation:
- Most 2009 coins fetch a decent premium in BU condition due to lower mintage and special cent and quarter commemorative series for that year. Less than uncirculated, and they only go for face.
- Read up on "Close AM" cents from 1998-2000. They sell for a few dollars each.
- All varieties and key dates are older, so an old copy of the red book (or equally good black book) will suffice.

Don't buy US coins from US dealers unless you are an expert and know something they missed. You won't profit from the prices they ask. Stick to ebay and flea markets for good deals.

Also keep in mind that the market for US coins is strongest right here. You can probably make a fair profit from selling "pocket change" but don't go for seated liberty or capped bust coinage!

Offline Naveen

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 02:51:45 AM »
got it thanks for the feedback friends, I am starting it with Quarter and 1 Dollar, they seems very interesting due to varieties and availability. Yesterday got 20 dollar worth Quarters from a bank counter.. I will co e back with my doubts while i continue collection...

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Help needed USA
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 06:26:30 AM »
Commemorative quarters circulate widely, so you will find them in change quite often. Quarters of the first commemorative series (state quarters) are more common than those from second series (America the beautiful).

$1 coins hardly or do not circulate at all. Presidential dollars were issued for circulation until 2013 or so (but they never circulated), now they are not issued for circulation at all. You have to visit a bank/mint's e-shop to get them.

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 01:54:13 PM »
Nobody is making fakes of all that, and it costs face value.   Sounds like a plan.