Author Topic: One Décime, off-centered strike  (Read 71 times)

Offline maudry

One Décime, off-centered strike
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:41:59 PM »
This is the coin from my avatar.
It has a very strong off-centered strike but the coin is completely identifiable as all the important information are by chance still visible.
Final E from Décime is on the flan, so I cannot be a 2 Décimes
Year AN 5 and mint mark A are also on the flan.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: One Décime, off-centered strike
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 11:49:26 AM »
A spectacular error, maudry. It looks almost as struck, so I guess it fired the interest of a contemporary of the French revolution, who kept it to show, rather than spend it. I am reminded of the aftermath of the storming of the Bastille. The medieval castle was thoroughly and completely taken apart by ... souvenir hunters!

It says something quite positive about the human spirit when blind rage, killing and deep frustration with injustice can so quickly be replaced by elation with "teaching the bastards a lesson" and wanting a souvenir of the accomplishment.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline maudry

Re: One Décime, off-centered strike
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 10:47:12 PM »
The coin is maybe XF.
It doesn't look as worn as most décimes and it has certainly been put aside relatively fast.
But I do also believe that it must have been difficult to spend it as most people would have been skeptical about receiving this coin and refused it.