Author Topic: A.P.Scheltema Amsterdam  (Read 221 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
A.P.Scheltema Amsterdam
« on: July 06, 2017, 02:05:04 PM »
A nice machine token probably from the 1920s; A.P.Scheltema Amsterdam rev 1 brass 16.3mm
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: A.P.Scheltema Amsterdam
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 03:01:59 PM »
A beer token. Café Scheltema still exists. It used to be a hangout for journalists until the newspapers moved out of town. It was the watering hole of Joseph Roth

Remarkably, Kooij has only denominations 5, 10 and 30, but not 1. In view of the denominations and the café's age (almost 150 years), Roth may have handled this token.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 12:18:03 AM »
I did read that the cafe had slot machines installed in the early days and the denominations 5, 10 and 30 would be correct for the French and German machines such as Bajazzo.

These tokens had no denomination but were equivalent to both French centimes and also pfennigs of the time
Malcolm

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 12:36:16 AM »
Kooij is a good researcher. Also, there are plenty of French café tokens with denominations 5, 10 and 30, but 1 is indeed pretty unusual. Not suitable for gaming either, so more likely to be used as change after a price increase.

Not sure I am understanding your currency remark correctly. At the time. DEM was roughly equal to NLG, but FFR was about 0.5 NLG, going down. If denominated tokens had been internationally interchangeable, in border areas, you would have been able to make an unacceptable profit buying denominated tokens in France or Belgium (BEF had virtually the same rate as FFR) and selling them in the Netherlands or Germany.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 12:56:19 AM »
A quantity of these denominations were supplied by the manufacturers for use with the machines. No denomination was added so that they could be used anywhere, they are quite common in Britain too. Most measure 17-18mm and were not tied to the currency in the way that you are thinking.

there should be a 20 also.
Malcolm