Poll

What Should be the Maximum Allowable Size of Attachment?

Current limit of 128 kb per attachment is enough
10 (90.9%)
256 kb per attachment
0 (0%)
512 kb per attachment
0 (0%)
1 MB per attachment
0 (0%)
No limit
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: July 12, 2017, 03:46:29 PM

Author Topic: Hosting and embedding on WoC  (Read 2654 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Hosting and embedding on WoC
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 03:46:24 PM »
What are the possibilities of abandoning the 126kb limit? And how can the problems that arise from that be solved?

I don't know the server costs to run it but I would think that if the site permitted hi res photo's and everyone began to upload hi res images it would use a lot more bandwidth.  The current limit allows perfectly good photo's
Vic

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 03:50:28 PM »

Very quick public link test.

Code: [Select]
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33748.0;attach=58631;image
Before

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33748.0;attach=58631;image

After.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »
The solution would be worse than the problem. Moving the thread would break the links to it. They'd have to be repaired one by one by hand. Locking the thread would make it inaccessible to members, except anointed (global) moderators and administrators.

Peter

I just publicly linked, in a coin design board post (now merged into this topic, above), to a Living Room topic image and saved the link.

Then I briefly moved the Living Room topic to the Coin Design board and again linked to the image. The link URL did not change - see my "before" and "after" links above. I have now returned the topic to the Living Room. This means that the Picture Container thread CAN safely be moved.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 04:03:01 PM »
Excellent solution! This resolves the query I had a while back regarding resizing images using the "IMG" tag:

(You can click the image to view the fill sized one. The smaller one is easier to view on a tablet/mobile phone without scrolling.)
[img width=400]http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33748.0;attach=58631;image[/img]

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 04:06:07 PM »
I don't know the server costs to run it but I would think that if the site permitted hi res photo's and everyone began to upload hi res images it would use a lot more bandwidth.  The current limit allows perfectly good photo's

Probably but it is part of the problem why people choose to upload their images on some free hosting site and embed them here. There do in fact exist programs (and possibly it can also be done online) to compress images to a file size that can be posted on this forum but it is all circuitous and I am sure the average member will never do so much effort to be able to upload their images directly to the forum.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 04:18:08 PM »
Most members are very good with apps and computers these days, and do know how to do it. You get the odd person who keeps complaining, "But it's too hard!" Some people will just not learn, but  most will take the trouble to learn the few simple steps to compress a photo. This board has instructions on how to do it. It's only difficult if a person is lazy.

Apart from anything else, learning how to use graphics software is very enjoyable. It has lots of other uses, too.

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 04:36:55 PM »
Most members are very good with apps and computers these days, and do know how to do it. You get the odd person who keeps complaining, "But it's too hard!" Some people will just not learn, but  most will take the trouble to learn the few simple steps to compress a photo. This board has instructions on how to do it. It's only difficult if a person is lazy.

Apart from anything else, learning how to use graphics software is very enjoyable. It has lots of other uses, too.

I strongly disagree with you. Nobody wants it, virtually nobody does it and nobody will do it. Isn't there some kind of mod (yes I know Peter is more or less allergic for them) which before uploading compresses the image file size, or is it possible to let make such thing.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2017, 04:40:52 PM »
Look at capnbirdseye and malj1 - older men, but they are very good at it, happy to teach, and happy to learn more. Our members are generally more intelligent than the average. Why wouldn't they want to learn?

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 08:49:21 PM »
Isn't there some kind of mod ... which before uploading compresses the image file size, or is it possible to let make such thing.

Yes, there are tools that do that. Facebook does it - I upload raw images in giant format straight off the camera and it resizes them to its specifications. I have no idea whether that technology is publicly available or if so, if it is compatible with WoC.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2017, 11:20:39 PM »
The worst part about all this is that other free image hosting sites will be watching Photobucket over the next few months to see what happens to their business model,  It is quite likely others will then follow suit.  Moving pictures to another "free" hosting site will only be temporary solution in the long run, especially as you cannot control what happens to your pictures using a 3rd party site.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »
I am working with Izotz to find out what we can do to improve the picture situation. At this time, the maximum picture size on WoC is locked in, owing to activities elsewhere, but everything is temporary. Remember also that space taken by useless picture information is no longer available for hosting other people's sites. It would be an easy choice for me...

Anything that doesn't cost money is OK, though. There is no impediment for starting a "picture container2" thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Hosting and embedding on WoC
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2017, 03:47:31 PM »
I added a poll to this topic to see what are members' expectations w.r.t. size of an attachment. Please vote (but result of this poll does not guarantee its implementation. ;))

Poll runs for 7 days.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 07:47:14 PM »
It's all very well asking for a bigger limit but someone has to pay for it via increased hosting costs....

I added a poll to this topic to see what are members' expectations w.r.t. size of an attachment. Please vote (but result of this poll does not guarantee its implementation. ;))

Poll runs for 7 days.

Aditya
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 10:58:40 PM »
As I explained above, the picture size limit cannot be changed. Izotz and I gave the available modifications a hard look. We came away empty-handed. The available modifications would either not do what we want - make the pictures smaller and retain sharpness (some would even make our problems worse), or they would be old and not upgraded for years, so they wouldn't work with the current version of the software or worse.

What is possible is a stand-alone solution. By googling free online resizer jpeg I got three results:
http://resizeimage.net
http://www.picresize.com
http://compressimage.toolur.com

I would like you to try these or any others you know about and report on the results in this thread. If there is a clear winner, we'll recommend it to all comers.

Please have some pity on Izotz. He's travelling and has the many personal obligations of an ex-patriate. He'll be back in two weeks or so.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Hosting and embedding on WoC
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2017, 05:53:29 AM »
It's all very well asking for a bigger limit but someone has to pay for it via increased hosting costs....

Current status shows that most of the people are happy with current limit of 128 kb per attachment.

The purpose of this poll was to see what our members think about this limit, or whether they want to get it increased. Whether it's technically possible/it's financial implications is a different matter altogether, I said so in my post too. :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.